We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping slugs and snails away?

Just moved house and have a garden 1/3 lawn and 2/3 patio, and already seeing a few skinny, lighter coloured grey slugs, we have a small dog and obviously don't want her licking or eating one (plus I can't stand them) is there any way of keeping them away? Obviously any treatment needs to be dog friendly

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• After many years of throwing them over my neighbours fence only for them to return a few days later, this year I declared war on the little blighters.
    I wont use chemicals because of my cats & dogs and I read somewhere that they have homing instincts within a certain distance so I got myself a bucket with a lid and spent many a wet evening with a torch collecting and "relocating" them to a hedge down the public footpath on the outskirts of the village during our bedtime dog walk.
    Ok, so maybe I need to get a life but my hosters have never looked better !
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Beer traps?

But it's important not to give them good beer, or you'll get the CAMRA slugs around for sure. ;)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I read somewhere that they have homing instincts within a certain distance

Only about 20metres, I believe. It was a university project a few year ago:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/16/snails-homing-instinct-overcome-move-20-metres-away

Clearly, their inbuilt sat navs are rubbish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure