We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Grow your own dinner 2014

Comments

• Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fay wrote: »
    Are they summer or autumn fruiting raspberries? You might not know. But I would be tempted to give them a hard chop back and if still nothing, get new canes. They're so expensive to buy it's well worth growing them.

Some of the canes are definitely autumn fruiting. I gave them all a hard chop back last winter, a mulch of compost and a high potash feed, and they have all grown back well. About two thirds have fruited between September and November (some were still fruiting into December - though they were pretty horrible fruit by then!) - not a heavy crop, but something at least. However about a third of the canes have never fruited.

We do like raspberries, it just seems they take up quite a lot of space in our fairly small garden for only a few berries a year. Maybe I should give them a good talking to for this year ;)
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Help
    Whenever I grow potatoes they have very tiny nodules on them, it feels as if they have pimples on them. They appear ok to eat as the flesh when peeled looks ok with no holes. We are on acidic sand.
    Any Ideas what it is and how to get round this problem - Thanks
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Help
    Whenever I grow potatoes they have very tiny nodules on them, it feels as if they have pimples on them. They appear ok to eat as the flesh when peeled looks ok with no holes. We are on acidic sand.
    Any Ideas what it is and how to get round this problem - Thanks

Sounds like potato scab, google it for pictures, you can get spuds with just a little of it or a lot.
    Soil to dry is usually the cause, could also be very alkaline soil but dry soil is the more likely.
    If it is scab, then add some home made compost or leaf mould to your planting area/tub and if keeping on top of the watering situation isn't possible for you, cover the top with old newspapers soaked in water to help retain moisture below.
    Growing first earlies usually avoids it unless we have a very dry spring or buy a scab resistance variety for main crop like, Maris Piper.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Lavendyr wrote: »
    Some of the canes are definitely autumn fruiting. I gave them all a hard chop back last winter, a mulch of compost and a high potash feed, and they have all grown back well. About two thirds have fruited between September and November (some were still fruiting into December - though they were pretty horrible fruit by then!) - not a heavy crop, but something at least. However about a third of the canes have never fruited.

We do like raspberries, it just seems they take up quite a lot of space in our fairly small garden for only a few berries a year. Maybe I should give them a good talking to for this year ;)

If you chop back all the canes then the summer ones won't fruit as they fruit on 2nd year canes.
    If you know which ones are which, tie a piece of string around the summer ones or those that don't fruit and leave them.
    Prune out any thin canes and give a good dressing of something like growmore in early spring and a mulch of some sorts to stop them drying out.
    Raspberries have very shallow roots and drying out repeatedly over the growing season will not produce tasty berries.
    If you have any very tall canes, nip off the top 6", they will put out more fruiting buds below.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've planted my garlic out this morning :j

I started them off in pots in November but looking at them this morning, they were disgustingly pot bound so it had to be done

I've also got 14 aloes that need to be potted up sometime very soon too :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Ebany
    Ebany Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi everyone! I've been lurking for some time, but figured its about time I contributed. We've been growing a rather random selection of things in our back garden over the past year, potatoes, french beans, courgettes, and tomatoes, which generally went OK. It was lovely eating things we grew for ourselves!

We got an allotment in October which we have made a start with - it came with raspberry canes, blackberry bushes, a rhubarb crown and a healthy row of strawberries, which we have tidied up for the winter, and we've planted some rows of onions and garlic. We also found some more surprise onions this weekend, which was nice!

We still have half the space to dig over but the earth is quite clay-y and claggy at the moment so its not a good time, with all the rain. We hope to put in all the things we had in the garden last year, and also see what else we fancy. With any luck we will be moving some time soon, so its not really worth putting anything in the garden this year - this also means we will probably have to give up the allotment come October, as we will most likely be in the next village, which is a different parish council. Garden space is something we are specifically looking for so we can hopefully take up a bunch of things and transplant them rather than lose them totally :)
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I'll be growing potatoes in tubs, they've been very successful over the past 3 years and I stick to what I know works for me. I have a 5 year old Coxes Orange Pippin espalier, soft fruit - raspberries, loganberries, gooseberries and blackberries in tubs as are the two rhubarb plants, and strawberries in a small bed which my neighbour's lovely DD benefits from. I don't like them but I was given them a couple of years ago and can't throw out a healthy plant. I also have a tub grown Victoria plum, a Doyenne du Comice mini pear, a dozen or so herbs and 17 tubs of shrubs, roses, etc. Unfortunately I've run out of space, my 12' x 14' lawn takes up a good part of my 20' x 18' garden and I'd love to use that but the dog likes it as it is :)
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks Annie.
    I googled scab on potatoes but the pictures didn't match what I'm getting. I'm getting very small raised pimples in the colour of the potato skin. Does scab start off like this? What I think I'll do is keep the beds better watered. I have some old hosepipe with holes in it and a nearby tap so I'll use my battery timer and water them every day, to see if I still have a problem.
    Thought I'd try swift as a first early and then one of the 'sarpo' varieties for later. I noticed some sarpo tubers in the garden centre, need to work out the cost to see if the internet or the garden centre is the best value.
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    oooh - rhubarb. Might have a go at that. Is it easy?
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I was was given 2 crowns by the lady along the road who I buy my eggs from, she doesn't know what they are just that one is Summer fruiting, the other 'late' fruiting. I put them in two green potato sacks last Spring and am looking forward to harvesting the fruit this coming year - you leave the first year's growth alone to rot down as if you harvest it apparently it weakens the plant and it doesn't produce so well in the future. There were at least half a dozen quite thin stalks on each last year, I'm hoping for better things to come. You have to keep it well watered - not too difficult at the moment! - and have good drainage. I've made 1" slits in round the bottom of the sacks and each stands on a triangle of bricks. Good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure