PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

what's the difference between a maisonette & flat?

Saw a maisonette and the leasehold is 999 yrs and ground rent is £50. They are both leasehold. I am wondering can you buy your leasehold? Does the ground rent increase every year? Thanks

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    A maisonette is over 2 floors.
    A flat is supposed to only be over 1.

Maisonettes will usually have their own separate and private entrance.
    Flats will often share communal entranceways.

Sometimes a house is converted to have a flat on the ground floor and a maisonette on the 1st floor and converted roofspace.

Sometimes you can get what looks like a block of flats of 4 storeys high from the outside and it's actually 2 maisonettes stacked one on top of each other.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Did you mean can you buy the freehold or a share of it, You are already buying the leasehold part of it.
    If this is what you mean then maybe if the freehoilder offers it for sale.
    The ground rent will probably remain the same there are rules concerning increases, so you won't suddenly get hit with ground rent of £1000 in year two.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Oops, I forgot to read the question didn't I.
    I answered the title.
  • lil_miss_17
    lil_miss_17 Posts: 278 Forumite
    That's not strictly true. Nowadays:

A maisonette is a flat with it's own private entrance. A flat has a communal entrance with other flats. Maisonettes can be on one level or split level.
    2013 wins: March - book,
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    This is the link
    Warrington Road, Harrow, HA1

The price seems reasonable for the area, but it looks as if there are two entrances door. I have asked the agent but he does not seem to know. Hubyy is not keen on leasehold. It is nice to know that you are protected with ground rent rise. Thanks for your advice.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Lots of useful info here: http://www.lease-advice.org/ :smiley:
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    That's not strictly true. Nowadays:

A maisonette is a flat with it's own private entrance. A flat has a communal entrance with other flats. Maisonettes can be on one level or split level.

Or if it's called a maisonette but it's on one level then it could just be a flat with its own entrance......;)

IMO Pasture New's definition is based on the usual understanding of the terms, unless the sales particulars have been drawn up by a newbie estate agent :smiley:
  • What the arrangements are for maintaining the external fabric of the building, ie the roof and drains? It can present problems if you have to negotiate shared costs with your neighbour.

What are the arrangements for the buildings insurance?
    'You can't change the past, you can only change the future' Gary Boulet.

'Show me the person who never makes a mistake and I'll show you the person who never makes anything'. Anon
  • motch
    motch Posts: 429 Forumite
    "What's the difference between a maisonette & flat?"

a maisonette shouldn't drop so much in value in the next few years ?
    loulou41 wrote: »
    Saw a maisonette and the leasehold is 999 yrs and ground rent is £50. They are both leasehold. I am wondering can you buy your leasehold? Does the ground rent increase every year? Thanks

I live in a maisonette and my ground rent is £10 per year, has been for the last ten years. I also receive £10 so no money actually changes hands.

If the leasehold is 999 years I personally wouldn't bother with trying to buying the freehold.

Check the maintanance agreements, mine is I deal with the exterior walls ie painting them and my neighbour (above) deals with the roof.

I live in a 2 level maisonette - converted from a 4 storey 1900's house.

Building Insurance is like normal house insurance accept it costs a bit more!
    (you have to factor in rebuilding both properties if it falls down or fire- I think)

hope that helps a bit
  • beecher
    beecher Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    loulou41 wrote: »
    This is the link
    Warrington Road, Harrow, HA1

The price seems reasonable for the area, but it looks as if there are two entrances door. I have asked the agent but he does not seem to know. Hubyy is not keen on leasehold. It is nice to know that you are protected with ground rent rise. Thanks for your advice.

From the floor plans it looks as if one of the doors (probably the one on the left in the picture) is for the ground floor flat, with yours being straight onto stairs taking you up to the first floor.

It'd be called a main door flat where I live.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure