Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan PPI reclamation ?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MPPI "can" pay out out in addition but PHI will not. From past posts, I am of the impression that the Halfax TMPP is one of those that checks other sickness income.
    What is expenditure related Mortgage Protection?

The cover provided for mortgage and house related insurance products etc.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    MPPI "can" pay out out in addition but PHI will not. From past posts, I am of the impression that the Halfax TMPP is one of those that checks other sickness income.

The cover provided for mortgage and house related insurance products etc.
    I thought so, would you say that his document then applies to "expenditure related mortgage insurance" also....

http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Co..._Notes/531.pdf

Products Covered by the Income Protection Model Key Features Document (KFD)
    2.4 If the product is primarily income protection (which may or may not include waiver of premium) then the model KFD should be used. A similar format should apply to the following contracts with appropriate amendments:
    • Housepersons policies (i.e. policies for housewives, househusbands etc.);
    Expenditure related (e.g mortgage) protection plans.

I realise why they "include" expenditure related Mortgage polices and it is because they are (as you stated last year) paid over to the consumer and not to the Mortgage Direct. Hence why the Key Features in mentioning how "other insurance" affects claims should be included since Jan 2004. Our MPPI covered "extras" too?

What do you think.? You were correct last year and so was every other IFA that replied to me?
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What I mean is:
    marshallka wrote: »
    The PPI would pay out on top of sick pay.

Most PPI policies have an exclusion period, usually 30 or 60 days, after this time you can make a claim. Sick pay is irrelevant as not taken into account when make a claim. It will pay on top of.
    When full sick pay ran out or if you were made redundant, how would you of paid the mortgage that was only in your name?
    I was just referring to the fact that if you had eg 3 or 6 months sick pay, if living on your own, there would be no income after that time if no insurance. At least with the PPI it would continue to pay out for 12, 24 or even up to 60 months for sickness on some.
  • Hi,

We had TMPP with the Halifax, which was supposed to be all singing make the tea policy. It was sold to us as a brilliant product especially as my husband is self employed. Recession hit, my husband did not work for 30 consecutive days, phoned the insurance - guess what you had to be nearly bankrupt before they would pay out.
    Wrote to Halifax saying it was mis-sold to us, they wrote back standard reply of tough luck. Took to FoS, complaint upheld. It has taken nearly a year, but yesterday we found out that the Halifax have agreed with the findings of the FoS and we will get a full refund of our premiums.
    Go for it what have you got to lose - be prepared for a long wait though and lots of phone calls.
    The only thing I can't work out, is how to calculate the interest.
    Hope this helps
  • the advisor who sold the mortgage to me on several occasions explicitly said 'the mortgage is only available if the full tmpp policy is taken'. no employment insurance etc was even ever asked about. not only that but the mortgage itself had to be split 70/30 with a silent partner there to make up the 30%-the advisor was completely aware that the silent partner wasnt going to contribute at all, but to her it was obviously all about the sale. the very fact i was told that i had to have full inclusive tmpp (2 witnesses) is a mis-sale surely? at the time it was all blindsiding to me, i had no idea that i could have gone elsewhere. it was my first and only mortgage, no partner etc for their insurances to be considered either. at my wits end with this bank over several issues, mainly mortgage related, but a year or twos worth of nearly £90 a month seemingly unnecessary payments (as i said, my job had beter policy for free) would go a long way towards getting them off my back!
  • dunstonh
    the very fact i was told that i had to have full inclusive tmpp (2 witnesses) is a mis-sale surely?

Prove it. If you can, you will win your complaint unless the mortgage deal actually did require the insurance (which some have and that is allowed).
    i had no idea that i could have gone elsewhere.

And its not for Halifax to tell you that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • righty....well are you saying that this qoute from this websites ppi reclaim guide is not applicable?-
    You may've been told insurance was compulsory – it isn't, and that alone counts as mis-selling. Plus, the self-employed, unemployed, retired, those with pre-existing conditions, or who are covered elsewhere, have all commonly been flogged unnecessary policies.'

thats exactly what ive described, and is the crux of the recent ruling isnt it? along with the fact i didnt have a clue what was normal, and was told i had to go with them- which brings me to the adjoining qoute from mse ppi guide-
    'Here, the salesperson is responsible to ensure you both understood the terms of any PPI and that the policy was appropriate; this also applies if you took out the policy online but were later called about the insurance, as often happened. This form of mis-selling has often been systematic, with staff being forced to sell policies or face lower pay.'

again, exactly what happened. as for proving it, witnesses dont count? as i said, the policy was unnecessary as i had better cover already.
  • dunstonh
    righty....well are you saying that this qoute from this websites ppi reclaim guide is not applicable?-

Yes. A number of guides on this website contain errors or more commonly generalisations which can be correct in most cases but wrong in others.
    You may've been told insurance was compulsory – it isn't, and that alone counts as mis-selling. Plus, the self-employed, unemployed, retired, those with pre-existing conditions, or who are covered elsewhere, have all commonly been flogged unnecessary policies.'

Clearly in that bit of the guide you have a couple errors.
    1 - where it was compulsory, then you were not told wrong as lenders were allowed to insist on insurances as part of a deal. It was very common up to the late 90s. However, you still find it happening today but not as common. Where you were told it was compulsory and it was compulsory then that is not wrong. Where you were told it was compulsory but it wasnt, that is wrong. That is the bit the article refers to .

2 - If you are self employed then some PPI does not cover the self employed or have restrictions that make it useless. Typically on credit card and loan. However, most MPPI do cover the self employed. So, it should really say that some PPI plans may not cover self employed.

3 - If you have pre-existing conditions, that too doesnt void the policy with most PPI. With some it might. However, with others it will just stop claims in illnesses related to that pre-existing condition.
    thats exactly what ive described, and is the crux of the recent ruling isnt it?

The recent judicial review ruling had absolutely nothing to do with that. The banks wanted to restrict certain complaints based on timescale. They lost that argument.
    along with the fact i didnt have a clue what was normal, and was told i had to go with the

There is no such thing as normal. Although it is considered right to have MPPI. Indeed, the DWP set the mortgage interest payment benefit on the assumption that the person has MPPI and tough to them if they dont.

As for being told you had to have it, then prove it. You may well have been told that. However, if there are no other failings, it has been set up correctly (monthly rather than single premium) and the documentation is all correct then you will likely be rejected.
    'Here, the salesperson is responsible to ensure you both understood the terms of any PPI and that the policy was appropriate; this also applies if you took out the policy online but were later called about the insurance, as often happened. This form of mis-selling has often been systematic, with staff being forced to sell policies or face lower pay.'

Correct, and this is where many credit card and loan PPI sales fall down as well. However, MPPI is typically sold via a mortgage adviser. So, a much better audit trail exists as an advice process was used rather than a sales process (although with banks, the two things merge a bit).
    again, exactly what happened. as for proving it, witnesses dont count? as i said, the policy was unnecessary as i had better cover already.

depends on the witnesses and what the documentation goes. Close family members can easily be coerced to say what you want to them to say. However, if you do have existing cover and you think its better then all you need to do is provide them details of this and evidence it. Documentary evidence is king.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 June 2011 at 11:02AM
    righty....well are you saying that this qoute from this websites ppi reclaim guide is not applicable?-
    They are sales people and you're quoting an advert, it would be more relevent to quote something from the FSA website, not an advert. Furthermore CMC's are famous for mis-leading people.
    What form of mis-selling relates to you? you quoted some generic statement from an advert.
    Documentary evidence would always rule over what some recollects. Did you inform the adviser you had cover? The firm would not be at fault for undisclosed material facts. Also this would only be applicable for advised sales, non- advised sales it would be your responsibility to decide if its suitable.
  • yes they were informed i had great income cover (i worked with explosives daily, the insurance for loss of income was massive) and those qoutes arent from adverts- they are from money saving experts ppi reclaim guide. im sorry, but i dont get it- ppi , wether loan or mortgage ppi, is missold under those circumstances- which are exactly the case, so if none of what is said in the guide is true why is it existing? i was told in 2005 i had to have their own in house tmpp and no one elses, and that is what is ruled as illegal now, so why is there a doubt here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure