Nationwide mini statement - what's the point?

When I log into Nationwide online I can see all todays transactions on the mini-statement. For example today I can see that 4 direct debits have been paid but the mini statement doesn't tell me who they have been paid to. To find that out I will have to wait until tomorrow when they appear on the full statement.

My question is: what is the point of the mini-statement? If Nationwide have the details of the transactions why can't they just post them straight to the full-statement today?

Comments

• Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know what you mean. I queried this once with them and was told it needs to go through an 'overnight' process before you can see the full statement. So must be just how their system is.

I also wish they would update the text messaging service and the mini statement you get from the cashmachines as these don't provide much info either apart from the date, the transaction code eg DD and the amount. It would be better if they followed HSBC/First Direct's example of putting who the direct debit or debit card payment was for.
  • withnell
    withnell Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Halifax have the same - when money is credited to an account, it isn't until the following day that the payee is listed next to it
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    roj wrote: »
    When I log into Nationwide online I can see all todays transactions on the mini-statement. For example today I can see that 4 direct debits have been paid but the mini statement doesn't tell me who they have been paid to. To find that out I will have to wait until tomorrow when they appear on the full statement.

My question is: what is the point of the mini-statement? If Nationwide have the details of the transactions why can't they just post them straight to the full-statement today?
    So would you prefer that they didn't list the transactions at all, and waited an extra day to tell you?

Don't you actually know who you have direct debits going out to and how much for?

How would you have coped back in the days of monthly snail mail statements that told you what direct debits had gone out 5 or 6 weeks previously?

We are spoilt with online banking, yet still moan about everything and anything.
  • roj
    roj Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    opinions4u wrote: »
    So would you prefer that they didn't list the transactions at all, and waited an extra day to tell you?

Don't you actually know who you have direct debits going out to and how much for?

How would you have coped back in the days of monthly snail mail statements that told you what direct debits had gone out 5 or 6 weeks previously?

We are spoilt with online banking, yet still moan about everything and anything.

In answer to your questions:

- No

- No because I have lots of direct debits for similar amounts going out on the same day so it's not immediately obvious by looking at the amounts which is which

- Yes I know but my point is that if the bank has details of the transaction it must be technically possible for them to post the details of the payee alongside the amount. I recently moved to Nationwide from smile and I'm pretty sure that smile shows you the full details of direct debits on the day they go out.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    An additional problem with using a 'mini-statement' for current day's transactions is the limit of 12 transactions. If, for example you have 15 items on your account today then 3 'disappear' for a day (when they all turn up on the 'full') statement.

I think the other point then is that most banks are more adequate in this respect. Mind you A&L are poor for only carrying 9 months transactions altogether! NW at least goes back one and a bit years on downloaded statements (which can be filtered for things like 'all bank credits') which is 'good' IMO and they also hold six years of statement 'images' (downloaded as PDFs) which is 'very good'

(So, on average, Nationwide's site would be 'good' in my opinion.)
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport