How many hours break between shifts?

Comments

• When I did shifts in a NHS hospital, we finished our late shift at 21.45hrs and commenced our early shift at 07.00am, so only 9.15hrs between shifts.

Did the NHS opt out?
  • The NHS are gradually changing shifts to keep this rule. We've changed ours to 7-15, 12-20 and 1945 - 0715.
  • teabelly
    teabelly Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Does the rest period include travelling time? If you have say an hours commute to and from work then if you have the minimum 11 hours you only actually have 9 hours actual rest. Or is travelling time excluded so that you have to have 11 hours between the time you normally get home and the time you'd have to leave for the next shift? It's not very clear as it mentions later about having long travelling times but doesn't mention how long 'long' actually is!
  • I'm sorry to correct people on this but there is NO restriction in the rest period between shifts.

Currently there are restrictions on younger workers and children.

But along with the working time regulations as in the transport industry or "mobile workforce" they are limited to 11hrs rest reducable to 9 three times per week. However you can also add into this split shifts i.e. hotels.

The working time regulations wass trying to be forced into the UK from Europe. Now it was implemented in the transport industry as of the need for vehicles to travel through various contries. Thus making it a standard European wide regulation.

However the rest of the UK workforce was more or less untouched.
    Aiming for a debt free 30th birthday in August 2007!!

:doh: Total debt between us £7917

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    teabelly wrote: »
    Does the rest period include travelling time? If you have say an hours commute to and from work then if you have the minimum 11 hours you only actually have 9 hours actual rest. Or is travelling time excluded so that you have to have 11 hours between the time you normally get home and the time you'd have to leave for the next shift? It's not very clear as it mentions later about having long travelling times but doesn't mention how long 'long' actually is!
    I can't see how a rest period could enforcibly exclude travelling time, IYSWIM. What if your journey usually takes half an hour, but on one particular night takes 2?

By the same token, you could get people coming in late because they hadn't been able to get to sleep when they wanted to, so they didn't get their 'rest'. :confused:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • nexuss
    nexuss Posts: 989 Forumite
    You have a right to a 11 hour break but it is not a uk law so yet more false advice.
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nexuss wrote: »
    You have a right to a 11 hour break but it is not a uk law so yet more false advice.

Excuse me but that was from the directgov website, so you would expect the information on there to be fact. So it wasn't false at all. :rolleyes:
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • dobbie82
    dobbie82 Posts: 321 Forumite
    Depends what industry you work in.
    whats legal and whats acceptable are two different things.
    i know as a chef i used to finish at 11.30pm and start again at 6am.

I live with one, quite normal to do that unfortunately. Though its 6.30 today. As a bar maid I finished 2am sometimes and back in at 10am, luckily i no longer work in the industry
  • nexuss
    nexuss Posts: 989 Forumite
    hayley11 wrote: »
    Excuse me but that was from the directgov website, so you would expect the information on there to be fact. So it wasn't false at all. :rolleyes:

You are confusing UK law with the working time directives.The below is saying 'you have the right' but not that it is UK law.If the working time directives were made into UK law then this country would completely collapse and that is why no UK GOVT will ever make it into UK law.
    Daily rest - a break between working days

If you are an adult worker you have the right to a break of at least 11 hours between working days. This means as an adult worker, if you finish work at 8.00 pm on Monday you should not start work until 7.00 am on Tuesday.

• Lincoln_Imp
    Lincoln_Imp Posts: 2,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Excuse my ignorance here but whats the difference between uk law and working time regulations
    Every web site you look at points to the regulations but are you saying any employee doesnt have these rights because its not uk law
    Have a nice day :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport