Ovo Energy Reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• joss
    joss Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    I am also having major problems with ovo energy. One of my tenants moved out at the beginning ofjuly 2014. They were with ovo and the bill was paid by them. I went to do voluntary work in Romania in october2014 and did not check the mailbox in the vacant flat. On 27th November they had been to court had disconnected the supply and changed the locks. They returned the new keys to the estate agents advertised outside the flat. I have a bill of £458.05 plus reconection fees of over £140. No fuel has been used So the only charges are standing charges and court costs. I have tried to negatiate with Ovo and Face2face since my return home
    I feel they have acted unreasonably as a phone call to the estate agent would have resolved the situation without going to court.
    Ovo say they have no legal obligation tofind out the name of the owner of the property. I think they have a moral obligation to make one calls. I have contacted my MP. Does anyone know if they have any obligation to avoid legal action.
  • Bluebirdman_of_Alcathays
    Options
    joss wrote: »
    I am also having major problems with ovo energy. One of my tenants moved out at the beginning ofjuly 2014. They were with ovo and the bill was paid by them. I went to do voluntary work in Romania in october2014 and did not check the mailbox in the vacant flat. On 27th November they had been to court had disconnected the supply and changed the locks. They returned the new keys to the estate agents advertised outside the flat. I have a bill of £458.05 plus reconection fees of over £140. No fuel has been used So the only charges are standing charges and court costs. I have tried to negatiate with Ovo and Face2face since my return home
    I feel they have acted unreasonably as a phone call to the estate agent would have resolved the situation without going to court.
    Ovo say they have no legal obligation tofind out the name of the owner of the property. I think they have a moral obligation to make one calls. I have contacted my MP. Does anyone know if they have any obligation to avoid legal action.

OVO have done nothing wrong. They can't intuit when a property changes hands - they own the meter, and weren't being paid. More hasty than most suppliers, but considering the RPU at some firms is almost non existenet, hardly a bad thing.
  • joss
    joss Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the opinion what I am asking is do they have any obligation to avoid court action? The flat could have been owned by somebody who was ill or unable to check the mail. A phone call to reeds rains would have avoided these costs. Is thieir response legal ethical and moral. Strange words to use in the present climate
  • Bluebirdman_of_Alcathays
    Options
    joss wrote: »
    Thank you for the opinion what I am asking is do they have any obligation to avoid court action? The flat could have been owned by somebody who was ill or unable to check the mail. A phone call to reeds rains would have avoided these costs. Is thieir response legal ethical and moral. Strange words to use in the present climate

Obligation to avoid court action?

They own the meter. As long as they obtained a warrant to access your property (which I assume they did) and you didn't object (I assume you didn't) they have done nothing wrong - legally. Ethics and morals are irrelevant.
  • roydog2
    roydog2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm with Ovo since March 2014. Switch seemed to go OK initially.
    After 3 months they gave me some money as they said I had not been getting the online discounts I was entitled to.
    Then the statements went crazy and stopped coming monthly, had to chase them to get one every month. Sorted.
    My dashboard page is completely wrong and has been for over 6 months, I think they've given up trying to fix it.
    Then they cancelled my DD in SEPT but didn't inform me. They kept taking payments from my balance reducing it from over £550 to £70 over a period of 4 months. Trying to reinstate DD has been impossible as the bank account is in my mums name and she cant hear them on the phone(deaf). They then emailed a form for DD setup to me that wouldn't open. So then they sent out a formal DD instruction on paper, I posted this back but they never received it.
    Finally I managed to speak to a person after 25 minutes on hold and set up the DD over the phone in my own name (they refused to do this the first time I called 3 months ago).
    DD is supposedly set up now but still no sign of it on my bank account, will have to wait and see if its paid.
    Comparison sites are a waste of time, savings at each switch were supposed to be over £180 for me, but each year my bills are creeping up while my usage declines!
    AVOID OVO they are as bad as the rest now. I want to leave but cant afford the loss of £60 so need to wait until March to switch away.
  • Sailbadthesinner2
    Options
    I've been with OVO several years now and I can genuinely say they are leagues better than the other energy companies I deal with (SSE and Hopeless energy, sorry Opus energy).

The OVO website has its problems and some of their automated letters go wrong but they do respond to complaints and once you are dealing with a human they do put things right.

I deliberately overpay my DD via Santander and get 2% cashback from Santander then 3% interest (tax and VAT free) from OVO. I'm making over £400 a year from this.:j

• dirtmother
    Options
    I'm not feeling very positive about Ovo. They have still not put me on the Economy 7 tariff I asked for, lots of technical hassles, not quick to get back, don't respond to the actual question asked. Really wanted this to work.
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    I left Ovo on 18 December. It took them until 7 January to enter my final reading and email me a link to my closing statement. They refunded my credit balance a few days ago.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I deliberately overpay my DD via Santander and get 2% cashback from Santander then 3% interest (tax and VAT free) from OVO. I'm making over £400 a year from this.:j

You must be overpaying by a huge amount to earn that type of interest...
    I thought of using OVO as an interest paying bank, but their T&Cs made it pretty clear they would not allow that. At the time I'm pretty sure they said any refund would exclude interest earned, although now it only appears to say:
    7.8. If we think you’re making payments into your account just to receive the OVO Interest Reward, we’ll refund the extra amounts to you and we may withhold payment of the OVO Interest Reward on those amounts.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2015 at 12:54PM
    Options
    As per victor2 -no idea how anyone can make £400 pa in interest and reward payments -assume monthly DD of £150 = Santander reward of £36pa -to get another £364 gross at 3% interest requires an average balance of ~ £12100:eek:

The maximum Santander reward is £120 pa -that would require a DD to OVO of £500 per month and the average balance would have to be nearly £9k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback