PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Title Deed- Child Added

Dear Forum,

I live with my elderly mother in a residential house. Two years ago she added my name to the title deed at the Land Registry. I have 2 questions:

We are now 'joint tenants in common' however I'm unsure of the percentage of ownership that I have in the property- how would I go about confirming this?

Also, I have a sibling (who agrees with having my name of the property title). Is there anything I should do now in order to protect myself against any future disputes that could potentially arise with this sibling or another family member.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Chris

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It's joint tenant, or tenants in common.

The difference is considerable, so please clarify which it is.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • E201
    E201 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for getting back to me. I confirm that we are tenants in common.

Chris
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    In which case, you own a percentage of the property and in the event of death, the share passes into the deceased estate and not to the survivor, which is what happens in the case of a joint tenancy.

You may wish to download the title documents from the land Registry which can be done for a few £.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership

Unless otherwise specified as T-I-C it will be 50% each.

You and your mother may each bequeath your share in your respective wills.

Check proprietorship register at the LR.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Ask your mother how much of the house she gave you
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ask your mother how much of the house she gave you
    This is the correct answer.

Ideally, and to avoid any argument (which seems to concern you!) there should be a written agreement of this. The best solution is to have a Declaration of Trust drawn up.

See also

https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1594984/Tenants-common.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills