Call Centre Job - Asked to reigster as 'self employed'

Hi, I hope I've posted this in the correct section.

Just wondering if what's been asked of me is 'normal'.

Ok, I'm still looking for my first permanent job since graduating in the summer and have been temping in the mean time. Last week I interviewed for and got a call centre job. However, the lady interviewing me said that all the staff that work there have to register themselves as self employed. She explained this is because people regularly just quit the job and this way it saves them time adding then removing them from the books. I'm just wondering is this normal, or a good thing? The pay is minimum wage and as it's a call centre their is commission (the job involves ringing people up to notify them they could save money on their energy bills).

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    TheCyclingProgrammer Posts: 3,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 October 2017 at 9:31PM
    Is it normal? Judging from posts I see on here, probably very normal.

Is it right? Not really. The person you spoke to said it themselves - making their staff “self employed” (when in reality they probably aren’t) saves them hassle and it saves them money. It means they don’t have to pay employers national insurance or other benefits. They can also get rid of you whenever they want.

Businesses who think they can choose to treat employees this way really annoy me.

If you’re desperate for a job have you considered your local fast food joint? The money is probably better and you won’t be calling people and annoying them and wasting people’s time to make a living.
  • Is it normal? Judging from posts I see on here, probably very normal.

Is it right? Not really. The person you spoke to said it themselves - making their staff “self employed” (when in reality they probably aren’t) saves them hassle and it saves them money. It means they don’t have to pay employers national insurance or other benefits. They can also get rid of you whenever they want.

Businesses who think they can choose to treat employees this way really annoy me.

If you’re desperate for a job have you considered your local fast food joint? The money is probably better and you won’t be calling people and annoying them and wasting people’s time to make a living.

Thanks. I'm not 'that' desperate as I still live at home and had a temp job for two months straight after uni, and then got this. I have applied at lots of local shops too and also registered to do voluntary work. I think I'll give this job a shot and continue to look for other things in the meantime
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 October 2017 at 9:40AM
    LeRoi93 wrote: »
    Just wondering if what's been asked of me is 'normal'.
    it is normal in the sense they have done it to exploit you, pure and simple: No paid holiday, no sick pay, no pension, no employment rights re notice and dismissal. You are responsible for paying your own taxes (at least until HMRC catches them out )

would it stand up to a challenge if you took them to court? They won't find out until it gets there, but you won't be the one to do that as that is what they are relying on

take the job if that is what you need to live on right now, but go in with your eyes open because it may be "common" but it is not "normal"
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    00ec25 wrote: »
    it is normal in the sense they have done it to exploit you, pure and simple
    That is it in a nutshell.
    It is difficult for you but, personally, I would avoid such "employers".
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    All that and for minimum wage.............they do want it all don't they!
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You say that you are
    not 'that' desperate as I still live at home ....

Why take a job that seems expressly designed for those who are that desperate and in consequence willing to accept being exploited?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure