The hidden reason Amazon is paying Clarkson & co so much for Top Gear

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    babystep wrote: »
    I cannot stand Clarkson and hate to think I am helping keep this person on TV.

I personally wouldn't class amazon prime as TV, so IMO you're keeping him off TV. If he wasn't signed up to amazon then they would have gone to ITV/CH4 or CH5.

The reason amazon paid them so much is because it's a very expensive programme to make. Clarkson, May and Hammond aren't doing it for charity, but it's not just divided between them. It's keeping other people in work too & a lot of the people working on the programme are from the UK. So don't feel too bad.

Amazon obviously hope that in the long term that it will increase the number of people signing up for amazon prime, but it's not that much money for them to take a punt and fail.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Amazon has 10x the amount of quality that the BBC has these days. Great delivery, music, cloud storage, pantry, tv and superb service- its fantastic value, I'm on the verge of giving up my tv licence.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I really hate Clarkson, he makes me want to punish Amazon by taking business elsewhere, but hopefully once the initial hype dies down his odious presence will be dropped from their marketing one the main site.

I've been a long term Prime member since shortly after it arrived, it's been very handy having next day delivery form the most part, given I hate having stuff left with neighbours I could generally be assured I would be at home when delivery was made. With other big companies your left at the mercy of an unspecified delivery window.

While not strictly prime related, their returns system is pretty excellent, I'm yet to be frustrated with it.

There's also the fact that without even trying you can generally get Prime effectively for free. Complain when something goes wrong and it will be extended. Cancel altogether and you might get a refund.

It does hold true though that I tied myself to them because of Prime but I got benefit from it too.

I've probably bought everything now so it might be time to quit it...........then they introduced Twitch Prime as a benefit.
  • I am a Prime member....I am disabled and my Mum is an OAP - we 'share' a Prime subscription.

Next-Day Delivery (although Amazon Logistics are a !!!! service!) is a definite plus....I have a Kindle Fire and watch films and TV shows as part of the subscription...plus I listen to oodles of music as part of the package...

We find that Prime suits us and is well worth the yearly subscription.

And yes, I have watched the Grand Tour....would I have joined Prime just for it? Probably not....but it is terrific fun and I will continue to watch each week.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've just cancelled Prime in an effort to reduce my reliance on them. Will see how long I last. Some of the delivery drivers are pretty good looking.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I choose Amazon because of the range of goods/books. Also I trust my (credit card) details are stored securely on their servers. Not sure I can say that for every other internet retailer.

I choose Prime because of the pretty quick delivery and the fact they will 75% of the time deliver to one of their locations as opposed to my home address. So I can go and retrieve the items at my leisure.
  • I became a prime member when they had a £59 offer, this was for several reasons. Difficulty getting things from the shops, not having to reach £20, a free book to read each month, music, movies and finding out I could earn money off by not having next day delivery I thought would make it nearly pay for itself.
    It has however been a big let down ! I can not read any books as I do not own a kindle and if I did I would be able to read as many as I wanted so what is the point ?
    The music is very limited and I have not even tried it yet as I am so !!!!ed by all the other things.
    I did not realise the movies had time limits etc and have missed ones that I thought I would be able to watch.
    The money that I am earning is only towards watching videos which I get for free anyway I cannot actually put it towards eg buying an actually video, a book not even a chuffing ebook (I hate those things but thought I was getting one a month to try before I buy) I have got my calandar well and truly marked to cancel on time ! Compleat and utter waiste of money !
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    Although the merchandise will be for the new show rather than "Top Gear" which will probably have more of a brand awareness value.

I agree, if you have forked out £79 to be an Amazon Prime member (although how more popular would it be if Amazon did a monthly prime membership for say £7.99 a month?) you will most likely try and get your moneys worth with free delivery.

Reading this thread reminded me to check when my subscription renews and the £7.99 a month is an option. ;)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    Reading this thread reminded me to check when my subscription renews and the £7.99 a month is an option. ;)

Was it an option 2 years ago when they posted?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I became a prime member when they had a £59 offer, this was for several reasons. Difficulty getting things from the shops, not having to reach £20, a free book to read each month, music, movies and finding out I could earn money off by not having next day delivery I thought would make it nearly pay for itself.
    It has however been a big let down ! I can not read any books as I do not own a kindle and if I did I would be able to read as many as I wanted so what is the point ?
    The music is very limited and I have not even tried it yet as I am so !!!!ed by all the other things.
    I did not realise the movies had time limits etc and have missed ones that I thought I would be able to watch.
    The money that I am earning is only towards watching videos which I get for free anyway I cannot actually put it towards eg buying an actually video, a book not even a chuffing ebook (I hate those things but thought I was getting one a month to try before I buy) I have got my calandar well and truly marked to cancel on time ! Compleat and utter waiste of money !
    Why mark your calendar, cancel now, nothing will happen to your current subscription, it just will not renew.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure