Course Fees

Hello,

I got to Year 2 on a course before leaving and have since started a HND, SFE gave me a gift year and a year of special considerations to fund this. I now have the opportunity to do a year at uni to top my HND up to a degree. SFE definitely won't pay the course fees but they will pay me a little maintenance. So I somehow need to find £9,250. With the maintenance loan, I probably only need to find around £5,000.

I've contacted the university and they said they couldn't help at all. So my question is, is there a 0% interest loan or credit card available which I could use to make up the rest of it?
Or some other organisation that offers loans at good rates,
Any ideas? (Friends/family not an option)

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If you're eligible for a 0% card with a limit of £5K and your university accepts credit card payments then apply and hope you get it. But I'd have to say that unless you have a good credit record and are currently earning a decent income there's not much chance of you qualifying.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-credit-cards

I very much doubt if you'll find any commercial lender who will offer a 0% loan, otherwise they'd be very quickly out of business.

I'd suggest wait another year and save very hard in the meantime.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Even the student loan is not zero per cent: if a lender offers you the money at a commercial rate of interest, it would probably make sense to go for it.
  • Thank you both,

It looks like I would be eligible for these:
    Barclaycard Initial - 0% for 3 months on spending
    Barclaycard - up to 25 months 0% on spending

However, I'm currently trying to work out if my course fees would count as 'spending' like a purchase.
    Am I also right in thinking I would need to pay it off ideally before the 0% period is over, so the second one is preferable as I have a longer interest free period?
    Sorry, for so many questions, Google just advertises lots and I am feeling a little lost!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I would think it would count as spend - non spend is usually interest and fees and cash withdrawals.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It almost certainly would count as spend, but as I said previously you need to ensure that your university will allow payment by credit card.
  • MummyMoo
    MummyMoo Posts: 151 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2017 at 10:50AM
    Have you looked into career development loans? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/career-development-loans

It says in the above article that only co-op does them but Barclays also do them too.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1695763
    Only two people away from a threesome :grouphug:
    [FONT=&quot][STRIKE](£22,131.38 debt hanging around my neck[/FONT])
    Bankrupt, (14/9/12)
    £300 away from debt free!! (16/6/14)[/STRIKE]
    £2017 in 2017 = 0
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    MummyMoo wrote: »
    Have you looked into career development loans? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/career-development-loans

It says in the above article that only co-op does them but Barclays also do them too.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1695763

Unless something has changed recently it's very unlikely that a CDL would be forthcoming for undergraduate study.
  • Can you pay in instalments? So you could work alongside the course to save the next terms fees?
  • I can work alongside but minus living costs and the current job I have, I would only have around £100 a month that I could save
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Posting links for personal gain are not permitted on the forum; I've removed the offending post.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure