eBay Return

Hi,

* Sold 5 stop smoking kits consisting of a charger, tips and a cigarette in each one.
* Buyer received the items, agreeing they were all sealed.
* Opened one of the kits, used it and was not happy with it because it was supposedly used (even though it was sealed), said it only lasted half the time it was supposed to have lasted.
* Opened all the other sets, using them all, saying they all lasted half the time they were supposed to have lasted.
* Now wants a full refund.

* I'm not a business seller and sold these because I no longer smoke.
* Initially, the buyer said they just wanted a refund and would not return the items.
* Has now opened a case and wants a full refund.

How do I go about this? I ask for them back and then give them a full refund?

I would have thought the buyer would have contacted me after the first or second one was opened instead of opening and using them all.

Please can someone advise.

Comments

• ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Using 1 kit is understandable,at this point perhaps a return is fair enough,but all 5,i'd be disputing a refund etc.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    mimi1234 wrote: »
    Hi,

* Sold 5 stop smoking kits consisting of a charger, tips and a cigarette in each one.
    * Buyer received the items, agreeing they were all sealed.
    * Opened one of the kits, used it and was not happy with it because it was supposedly used (even though it was sealed), said it only lasted half the time it was supposed to have lasted.
    * Opened all the other sets, using them all, saying they all lasted half the time they were supposed to have lasted.
    * Now wants a full refund.

* I'm not a business seller and sold these because I no longer smoke.
    * Initially, the buyer said they just wanted a refund and would not return the items.
    * Has now opened a case and wants a full refund.

How do I go about this? I ask for them back and then give them a full refund?

I would have thought the buyer would have contacted me after the first or second one was opened instead of opening and using them all.

Please can someone advise.

What has he said in the case? Has he said he has USED them. If so, you might want to dispute the fact he cannot return them in the state they were delivered. If he has said they are faulty, then that's another matter.

As an aside, are these e-cigs/vapes. I thought they were banned on eBay?
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949 Forumite
    That's what I thought. One faulty okay. Two faulty would ring alarm bells and I would contact the seller.

Using all five saying all faulty but now completely used up is taking the Michael.

I'll see what eBay says.
  • mimi1234
    What has he said in the case? Has he said he has USED them. If so, you might want to dispute the fact he cannot return them in the state they were delivered. If he has said they are faulty, then that's another matter.

As an aside, are these e-cigs/vapes. I thought they were banned on eBay?

Buyer stated I can return but all are used and empty now.

It's the e-cig kits.

They may have been banned at one point but not anymore. Kits. Sticks. Liquids. It's all on now.
  • theonlywayisup
    edited 22 May 2017 at 5:36PM
    Buyer stated I can return but all are used and empty now.

It's the e-cig kits.

They may have been banned at one point but not anymore. Kits. Sticks. Liquids. It's all on now.

I would ring CS and highlight the fact he is saying they are all USED rather than FAULTY. It's a point that CS need to be perfectly understanding of.

If your dashboard can take it (defects) then ring, update the return case to explain you have spoken to CS and the items are not faulty but have been used and therefore cannot be returned in the same state. If you can link to the policy on returns for being in the same state that will help.

My e-cig knowledge is none existent [STRIKE]hence me asking if they were banned![/STRIKE]

Edit to add - I have checked and you must be authorised to sell e-cigs. Are you qualified? If not, you may find yourself in hot water with the case.
    You can't sell cigarettes, cigars or smokeless tobacco on eBay. You are allowed to sell collectible tobacco packaging and some tobacco-related items as long as you meet certain conditions. Only qualified sellers can list e-cigarettes, e-shishas and related accessories.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/tobacco.html

http://programme.ebay.co.uk/new_categories
  • mimi1234
    Hi. No, they said I can sell them, so I must be qualified.

The buyer initially opened up an item not received case, which has been closed down.

Now they have opened up a "return request". It confirms that all 5 kits were opened and used.

I'm unsure what to do now. I've messaged her back and may contact eBay later on.

Like you guys have said, if one or two had been opened and used, and the buyer contacted me, I would be happy for a refund to be given. But saying all 5 have been used and are now empty is a bit shady.
  • theonlywayisup
    What is the reason for the case (it will state the reason - faulty, damaged etc). Does it say seller or buyer to pay returns?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi. No, they said I can sell them, so I must be qualified.

When did they tell you this and do you have any confirmation of this?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mimi1234
    What is the reason for the case (it will state the reason - faulty, damaged etc). Does it say seller or buyer to pay returns?

Item is faulty or defective is the reason and it says I have to pay for the return.

So do I just agree for her to return it and then refund her? I think that's mighty unfair. I might have start buying off eBay and using this scam then.

Buy stuff, use everything up, claim it did not work properly, send back and get a full cash refund.

SOOLIN - I have the chat transcript and it says you can sell. I tried selling another stop smoking item years back but they ended the listing.
  • Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Have you followed the suggestion that you ring CS?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure