I want to stop drowning

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Tesco's were doing cheap electric toothbrushes a few weeks ago. Not sure if offer still on. We have Braun ones which we got from amazon using vouchers
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tesco's were doing cheap electric toothbrushes a few weeks ago. Not sure if offer still on. We have Braun ones which we got from amazon using vouchers

Thanks, I'll have a look as want to spend as little as possible but it needs to be one that tells you if you're brushing too hard as apparently I'm brushing too hard and damaging my gums.
  • debtaghh
    I made another sale today so have used that to make another payment on the cc. Washing dried nicely outside.

I'm feeling a little bit fed up and like it's going to take years to clear my debt ( well it is). I've tried so hard to make lots of payments and hate the thought that this is how it's going to be for years.
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    debtaghh wrote: »
    I made another sale today so have used that to make another payment on the cc. Washing dried nicely outside.

I'm feeling a little bit fed up and like it's going to take years to clear my debt ( well it is). I've tried so hard to make lots of payments and hate the thought that this is how it's going to be for years.

I'm very impatient to pay mine off too. But think about how these payments are all making a dent and when they are gone, they are gone for good!
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • debtaghh
    I'm very impatient to pay mine off too. But think about how these payments are all making a dent and when they are gone, they are gone for good!

I know and I can't wait for that to happen. It will be so strange for my husband to get paid and not have credit cards to pay!
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    debtaghh wrote: »
    I know and I can't wait for that to happen. It will be so strange for my husband to get paid and not have credit cards to pay!

I can't even imagine that either. Imagine how much disposable income we'll have!
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • debtaghh
    Hi,

I have hung my washing outside today, I love it when you can do this as I see it as a saving! We are due nice weather over the next week so am hoping for lots of washing to get dried outside.

I have spent the last hour thinking about debt and playing around with spreadsheets, this seems like such a waste of time as I do this daily. I think I put too much pressure on myself and need to focus on the fact that we are not increasing our debt and we pay at least the minimums. I end up making overpayments and then struggle. We have a lot of expenses coming up with birthdays and going away so think I won't make many overpayments as it will just leave us short. I have managed to get the Barclaycard under 2k and will start paying interest from the beg of July unless we get offered a 0%.

Hope everyone is having a nice day.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Our washing goes outside unless it's actually raining - sometimes takes a while but always dries in a couple of days! I hate using the dryer - use it for towels as they dry nicer but nothing else at all really. It's the airer inside if it's too wet or cold to dry outside.

Basic rules for a "basic" emergency fund:
    Homeowner = at least £1,000
    Renting = At least £500 - ideally a bit more if you run a car as well.

I'd hang onto the savings for the time being at a 1k level to be honest - make sure that they're earning you some interest though - look at trickle feeding them into your bank's regular saver account if there is one - they typically pay decent interest but you will have to trickle the money in over a 12 month period, most likely.

focus on the small achievements - getting the Barclaycard under 2k is brilliant! Why not have a think about any ways you might be able to make a bit extra money wise to cover the interest you're going to get charged on that from next month? If it's "free" money you're earning (surveys etc?) then even if you can't get a 0% offer right away, at least you're not losing the full effect of your payments if you can cover the interest?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • debtaghh
    Our washing goes outside unless it's actually raining - sometimes takes a while but always dries in a couple of days! I hate using the dryer - use it for towels as they dry nicer but nothing else at all really. It's the airer inside if it's too wet or cold to dry outside.

Basic rules for a "basic" emergency fund:
    Homeowner = at least £1,000
    Renting = At least £500 - ideally a bit more if you run a car as well.

I'd hang onto the savings for the time being at a 1k level to be honest - make sure that they're earning you some interest though - look at trickle feeding them into your bank's regular saver account if there is one - they typically pay decent interest but you will have to trickle the money in over a 12 month period, most likely.

focus on the small achievements - getting the Barclaycard under 2k is brilliant! Why not have a think about any ways you might be able to make a bit extra money wise to cover the interest you're going to get charged on that from next month? If it's "free" money you're earning (surveys etc?) then even if you can't get a 0% offer right away, at least you're not losing the full effect of your payments if you can cover the interest?

Thanks. I've been really trying hard to hang washing out as much as possible and doing other small money saving things.
    That's a good idea about trying to make other money to cover the interest so will have a think, I have been putting any unexpected money towards this card to try and get it down. I hate paying interest :(

I don't really have an emergency fund as the money in savings are allocated for new brakes next month and Xmas presents. But I suppose I could use that if I had to.
  • debtaghh
    Hi,

I made a small sale which I used again to make another payment on the barclaycard. I had to go and get some food shopping so def not a nsd. We have had lovely weather so another load hung up and dry. I was meeting friends for lunch today but instead of eating out we had a picnic which was good.

When you hear so much sad news lately, it makes you realise that money isn't everything.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback