PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Extend Your Lease guide discussion

Options

Comments

• jamels2
    jamels2 Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    hi all! I have had conflicting views on whether i should extend my lease.
    the guide says if its under 80 to extend asap, but not take out extra borrowing to do so.
    another person has said you can always extend at the point of sale, at the buyers cost, so wait til if you sell.
    can anyone advise which is the best advice???
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jamels2 wrote: »
    another person has said you can always extend at the point of sale, at the buyers cost, so wait til if you sell.

That would be an informal arrangement. I would absolutely not rely on that. You would be at the mercy of your freeholder.

Your freeholder could ask any price they want and any terms they want - or just flatly refuse to extend.

If the freeholder knows you need a lease extension in order to sell - they massively have the upper hand in negotiation.

Perhaps a better approach is to start the statutory lease extension process 6 to 12 months before you intend to sell. That way, if you need to borrow money to do it, it would only be for a few months.
  • jamels2
    jamels2 Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    good point eddy i think you can also assign the s42 notice to a new buyer so they get statutory terns?
  • eddddy
    Options
    jamels2 wrote: »
    good point eddy i think you can also assign the s42 notice to a new buyer so they get statutory terns?

Yes - if that's acceptable to the buyer, and there are enough years on the left on the lease to get a mortgage without the extension.

But some buyers will be deterred, and most would expect to get a bargain, because of the extra the hassle, the risk and the uncertainty about what the extension will cost.
  • briddj
    briddj Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    I'm currently going through the process of extending my lease.

The leaseholder has demanded a figure vastly higher than the valuation (no surprise there) so we have to enter negotiations.

The valuer is quoting either £200/hour or a flat fee of £1,500 no matter how long it takes. Am I better taking the flat fee or is the cost unlikely to get that high?

Thanks.
  • katyteague
    Options
    I need some advice, we're looking to buy a flat through shared ownership. The lease is 77 years and I'm not sure how lease extension works on a shared ownership property. Would we pay for the whole extension or just for the % we own? I'm trying to weigh up the costs as this is going to be our first property.
  • eddddy
    Options
    katyteague wrote: »
    I need some advice, we're looking to buy a flat through shared ownership. The lease is 77 years and I'm not sure how lease extension works on a shared ownership property. Would we pay for the whole extension or just for the % we own? I'm trying to weigh up the costs as this is going to be our first property.

You have no statutory right to extend the lease on a shared ownership property. So there are no laws that specify the price/terms for an extension.

See: http://www.lease-advice.org/faq/i-have-a-shared-ownership-lease-do-i-have-a-right-to-extend-my-lease/

So you (or the vendor) could start by asking the freeholder for the price/terms they would offer for a lease extension.

If I were you, before buying, I would get a contractual agreement that states that the lease will be extended.
  • hutman
    hutman Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I've put an offer in on a property with 87 years lease and ground rent £120 p.a.

The vendor cannot renew the lease because he hasnt stayed there for two years but has assured me I wont be paying astronomical figures if I want to renew it: £6-8k.

Is this reasonable? Any costs I have to further provision for in my offer?
  • eddddy
    Options
    hutman wrote: »
    Hi,

I've put an offer in on a property with 87 years lease and ground rent £120 p.a.

The vendor cannot renew the lease because he hasnt stayed there for two years but has assured me I wont be paying astronomical figures if I want to renew it: £6-8k.

Is this reasonable? Any costs I have to further provision for in my offer?

I wouldn't take the vendor's word for how much you would pay.

But there are a few lease extension calculators around the internet, including http://www.lease-advice.org/calculator/

Maybe budget for up to £4k in fees, if you go for a statutory lease extension.
  • bb69
    bb69 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi can anyone advise on this?

Lease extension agreed with landlord - 90 years on top of current lease of 80 years, small increase of ground rent from 150 to 175 per year

Basically all terms of the lease remain the same apart from this

Current lease says:

Within one calendar month after such document or instrument as in hereinafter mentioned shall be executed or shall operate or take effect or purport to operate or take effect to produce to the lessors solicitors a certified copy of every transfer mortgage or legal charge (including any statutory notice receipt or release of any charge or notice or deposit with a bank) of this lease or the flat or any part thereof and also every underlease of the flat for more than twelve months and every assignment of such underlease and also every probate letters of administration order of court or other instrument effecting or evidencing a devolution of title as regards the term hereby granted or any such underlease as aforesaid for the purpose of registration and for such registration to pay to such solicitors a reasonable documentation fee in respect of each such document or instrument so produced not being less than twenty pounds (together with value added tax a prevailing rate)

NEW document has a clause which says:

The tenant will within one calendar month next after any absolute transfer assignment charge of devolution of his interest under this present lease in the premises or any part thereof give notice in writing of such transfer assignment charge or devolution and pay to him such reasonable fee. The clause shall replace [x] of the original lease

A few questions please:

- Is this ok to sign?
    - I am concerned about the reasonable fee element - what does that mean?
    - My solicitor says the fee would also need to be paid by the incoming buyer - but where does it say this?

Please any advice appreciated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure