best euro exchange rate?

Comments

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    I go with the post office cause they always seem to be the best...IMO...defo was in Jan anyway...haven't looked since.

You must have been very lucky then, I have never seen the Post Office give a decent rate and I change Pounds to Euro's on a regular basis.

Usually the best is Saga, sometimes Asda, and on one occasion it was HSBC, but never ever the Post Office.
  • sopplayer
    sopplayer Posts: 381 Forumite
    Anyone beat Tescos rate of 1.44 for today

according to http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

edit...just looked and its 1.435300
    They've got cars big as bars
    They've got rivers of gold
    But the wind goes right through you
    It's no place for the old
  • Inactive
    Saga; 1.43820
  • I second M&S, just go to some stores, I know Hanley, Stoke on Trent and Chester one has a currency counter. For some reason, they always offer good rates, better we found than the travel agents.
  • volume69
    volume69 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Inactive wrote: »
    Saga; 1.43820

Travelex 1.4382
  • sopplayer
    sopplayer Posts: 381 Forumite
    Went to my local travel agents yesterday and asked if they could match the 143.5.......they offered me 143.2 with no commision so I bought £600 worth there and then.....I think it was worth it, it was in my hand within a minute and I don't have to stay in today waiting/hopeing for Mr Postman to turn up.
    They've got cars big as bars
    They've got rivers of gold
    But the wind goes right through you
    It's no place for the old
  • Inactive
    volume69 wrote: »
    Travelex 1.4382

Exactly the same as Saga, but no Free Delivery.:rolleyes:
  • SMG_4
    SMG_4 Posts: 27 Forumite
    I would agree that withdrawing cash using a Nationwide cash/debit card while abroad always gives a very good rate. If you are too late to open an account however, then I've always found that Thomas Exchange Global give excellent rates. Today's rate is 1.465, they have branches in London.

If you can't get to London, you can still get the same rate by taking advantage of Travelex's Price Promise, although it's a bit fiddly. I've done this about half a dozen times now without any problems. It also gives me the option to collect my currency at the airport which I find more convenient.

You have to buy from Travelex and then send them an email to say you've found a better rate, giving details of where it was etc. Once Travelex have confirmed the TEG rate, they send you a cheque in the post to make up the difference (my cheque has always arrived before my return from holiday).

The relevant links are:
    TEG (this shows the current rate and also comparative rates for Post Office, Marks & Spencer, Travelex and others which is quite useful) http://www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/exchange1.php
    Travelex (rates and link to price promise) http://www.travelex.co.uk/personal/rateslist.asp?content=rtl

Hope this helps!
  • Bernie
    Bernie Posts: 412 Forumite
    ...the wife and I have been without holidays abroad for the last couple of years due to career change, house move and all the interesting diversions that go with same.

Last time we were out in the Canaries in May 2005, I was changing £100 cash for €151 dead at the Exchange just outside our hotel. I did this several times during the break which is why I recall the rate so vividly.

Am I missing something because if our economy is meant to be doing so well over recent years, how come our currency is now worth less now than it was years ago?
    “When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.

But when I got to be twenty one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.”

Mark Twain
  • mbriody
    mbriody Posts: 199 Forumite
    Got my Nationwide account opened today, with a debit card - despite the wording I quoted earlier. Card + PIN should be witrh me next week, well in time for the holiday to Spain :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure