Wash your uniform at home ?

Comments

• max2002ad
    max2002ad Posts: 303 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    I sent the letter that i produced at the top of this thread and i have just recieved my £45 for this year in a new coding notice!!
    I didn't need to add anything i just got paid it.
    Beaware thought it has taken me four months to get it as i posted them a letter at the begining of january.
    You can claim up to six years worth of allowances so go for it !!
    They can only say NO!!
    My Motto in Life:

Make Every Penny Count !!!!
  • little_lil
    little_lil Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my OH is taking the draft letter into his office tomorrow and is going to ask the boss to get one drawn up for each employee to send if they wish. Only about 20 of them so shouldn't take too long.
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    diplod wrote:
    I know its probably a long shot, and wishful thinking, but if secondary school uniform is compulsory does the same tax allowance apply?

Well they do say that if you don't ask, you don't get!

Thanks

Alan

Erm, I highly doubt it since the people wearing them aren't employees...

How many secondary school students earn over their personal allowance anyway?!
  • diplod
    diplod Posts: 9 Forumite
    Question was really aimed at the parents tax allowance, who are generally the ones who purchase the uniforms and end up cleaning them too.
    Thanks anyway.
    Val :)
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    That's not quite how the tax system works, I don't think, but it would be nice if it did.
  • IanatSeaton
    IanatSeaton Posts: 62 Forumite
    What a great tip - wife has uniform with huge NHS Trust logo stuck on it, so I hope she will qualify - as she is clerical rather than nursing. But they do supply it and she does wear it every working day. I have printed the letter and will give it a go. If she gets 6 years that will be great. Thanks very much!

wow 6 x £45 - could just about cover that new 19" flat screen I saw in Aldi today (on sale next Thursday at £199)
  • Amigo_2
    Amigo_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thanks - this is great!!! Will be sending my letter off tomorrow. Thanks again.
  • suwyn
    suwyn Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    deanos wrote:
    Wash your uniform at home ?

Then write to your tax office and tell them, i only got £45 extra tax allowance but it is backdated 6 years and its better than nothing :)

It only costs the price of a stamp so worth a try :)
    Uniform Washing Tax Allowance,
    Hi does anyone know if this rule could be applied to a self employed person ?
    My Hubby is self employed, and his job creates a lot of laundry !
    Grateful for any help, Thanks, Suwyn
  • Apart from getting a tax allowance for washing my logo'd clothes at home the IR have also included an allowance for the cost of footwear as I am obliged to buy steel toe cap shoes for my work.

I am pretty sure it is your employers duty to provide safety shoes according to the law. Maybe other moneysavers know about this.
  • ncrossland
    ncrossland Posts: 45 Forumite
    is this dependent on it being SUPPLIED by the employer? My O.H. has to wear a uniform, which she has to buy and wash herself. But its not a uniform you would wear outside of work. I think she already gets an allowance for buying it, but not sure if it includes washing it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback