Help with utility arrears - success stories

Comments

• I got £135.00 electricity grant from EDF Warm start Scheme and £195.00 paid to Severn Trent water after I applied for financial help from The Severn Trent Water Fund
    2014 Posts: 59 Forumite
    My sister is in recept of state pension and PIP enhanced disability payments.
    She applied on line to Scottish power for warm payment credit.
    The on line form in our opinion is unfair as you cannot complete the application as the criteria appears unfair, in my sisters case the income threshold did not justify not being able to claim.
    Bearing in mind she is in receipt of a state pension and a enchanced disability benefit.
  • I have just been awarded £2500 to clear my outstanding arrears that I've had for years!

When I moved house 8 years ago BG didn't send me a bill for 18 months, despite asking for one regularly. Obviously, when the bills finally came, I couldn't pay them, the debt just spiralled from there. Through bouts of redundancy and unemployment it just got bigger and bigger.

Eventually they made me have prepayment meters fitted about 3 years ago and I've been paying £4 a week on both the electricity and gas ever since, which has made practically no impact on the debt, but it's all I could afford. The debt was too big to even think about.

I've applied to the trust twice before and been turned down, but this time they cleared the whole debt! I'm so lucky, I can't see how I would have EVER cleared this myself.

Just goes to show, it's worth persisting!
  • buckrogers
    buckrogers Posts: 829 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk/
    my parents applied to the above on the 17th march 2015
    they live on his disability allowance ,income support, and she cares for him, 'doesn't claim carer allowance'
    received a letter today 20th July 2015 saying not been successful, even tho they fell behind electric bill £600, they just moved in a house with night storage heaters and by the look of things a highly cost way of heating ,no reason giving.

so well done to those who are lucky :-)
  • The EDF Energy Trust fund is taking an exceedingly long time to process my clients application.
  • Update: EDF Energy Trust Fund credited £883.00 into my clients gas and electricity account; in effect clearing the debt owed of £1000 and leaving both accounts in credit of a few hundred pounds.
  • I got a grant from United Utilities which I did not know was available to apply for, a helpful assistant advised me of this service when I had a very large bill I was really struggling to pay. I had to fill in some forms but it was worth it to have the stress of this bill lifted. Very grateful to United Utilities
  • Please can you help me I'm looking for a job regarding the Scottish Power hardship fund I owe thousands of pounds and they say that I'm not eligible for the fund. I suffer and bipolar and depressive illness and my metre from the Scottish Power company was broken and I just let it go in town this weekend for a long long time and I will be eligible to pay off my bills in 2031. I I'm going to spend another winter this is my first without any gas can somebody please help me I really need some help. I am on p i p and JSA. Please.. PLEASE HELP....
  • due to a problem with the water supply billing (due to spur supply ) we didn't pay water rates for 3 years or more. Then they found the issue and sent a bill for £4000 which I never paid, because they would not take it in monthly payments. Total or nothing + the running years payment,
    Eventually United utilities offered a 50-50 payment scheme. For every £1 I paid , they would match it. Took a year, but eventually we paid it off.
  • Hi in 2017 I used British Gas trust, they paid over £500 in arrears for both gas and electricity. The form was fairly explanatory, not to fiddly. You can only apply again after 2 years, but if you are struggling like we were, they are most helpful.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback