Advents 2015 ... Chat

So, it seems I've volunteered myself to be the master of ceremonies when it comes to this years Advent comps.

Everything seemed to run good last year (Thanks JamboDP), but I figured I'd chuck up a "chat" thread so we can discuss what would be good to have that we maybe haven't had before or discuss anything that maybe didn't work too well previously?
Possibly nothing at all to discuss, but I reckon the advents will start to appear in Newsletters and such around the start of November, so this gives us a few weeks to hammer out all the details and do's and dont's.

Firstly, for any newbies ... here's some info, so please read through before posting any new "What's an Advent?" type threads.

What is an Advent?
Basically, think of the Advent Calendars you got a kid, you open a box each day and got a "treat". Advents are basically that, you open todays box and enter that days competition.

So a site may do a standard advent which opens on the 1st December and closes on the 25th December, each day of the advent there will be a new competition with (generally) a new / different prize. So you would return to the site every day (open that days window) and enter the competition. Some advents will for example not open until the 15th December, some may close on the 15th December, some may run straight through to the New Year etc etc

Why all the fuss / stress?
It can be tricky to keep on top of the advents because there might be 200 sites running advents, on various platforms (ie Twitter / Facebook / Instagram / fill out a form etc), with varying prizes ... while all this is going on you will still have the standard competitions being posted (generally there are probably more competitions that will get posted in the run up to Christmas that aren't necessarily "advents"), so it can get a bit "busy".

How are Advents typically posted?
Advents are posted on the main Competitions forum with the word "ADVENT" added to the title, Someone, generally whoever posted the comp will then add a link onto the Advent thread, this is then sorted and updated to the "main list" for quick reference.
This is Jambo's Advent post from 2014 :
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5098487&highlight=advent+thread+2014

You click the link and it takes you to the Advent post for that competition where the "chat" for the advent should take place.

Is it worth it, do you win?
Yes and yes, a lot of MSE'rs win on the advents, some don't win anything, it's no different from any other type of competition really. The thing with Advents is that a "competition" will only run for 1 day then the next day there will be another one. This will generally mean that it won't have as many entries as some of your standard competitions ... but then a lot more people will pick up "comping" in the run up to christmas ... so who knows.

Do you have to enter every day?
Nope, not unless it specifically says to, generally you would just enter for the prizes you want (ie, sometimes a "Prize" is Free Postage, or 10% off your order, which you just wouldn't bother entering at all).
Some "advents" may have a "Grand Prize" where they might stipulate that you have to enter, for example, on 10 days over the course of the advent, these won't stop you from winning an individual days prize though.

How do you keep track?
In the standard way on the forums, clicking a link in the Advent thread will take you to the Advent post, if someone has posted a "Here's today's comp" reply, thank them, you'll then know you've entered this because you have the "thanks" registered against the reply, you can't specifically Green tick the reply so use the "Thanks" as an alternative.

A lot of users will setup Spreadsheets, word documents or setup folders in their browser and save their preferred advents into it (ie the one that has the best or more relevant prizes to them), some people just go Hog-wild and enter everything. It's up to you.

Comments

• hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    thank you for taking this on, unfortunately I'm very busy in Nov *DD is getting married) & I'm always off grid for around a week in December so can't do it.

I hope you find enough time to do your own comping as well as this & that your time is not wasted by companies offering "prizes" of a discount on particular items each day
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for agreeing to take this job on. I won't have the time to enter many advents this year, but will no doubt enter some here and there. I think that your introduction in this thread is very helpful for newbies.

I hope the comping fairy brings you a good prize in recognition for your efforts with this task.
  • gizmobenny
    gizmobenny Posts: 1,490 Forumite
    Thanks for taking this on sleepyjones :T:T
    I love the advent comps and usually have a few wins from them.
    Time is a problem though.. who needs to sleep anyway ?
  • Thanks for taking this on - cant believe its nearly that time of year again
    Won a holiday every year since 2014......come on 2021!!
    2020 Winnings Value £3750
  • Thanks for this sleepyjones :A

Hope the Christmas Comping Fairy brings you lots of luck and you get some wins! :)
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    thanks sleepyjones :A
    good to see it on sticky & up & running :T:T

Sticky:E: 01/01 2015 advents (multipage.gif1 2)
    sleepyjones
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Are there Postal / TXT Advents?
    Are these posted elsewhere or should I add a section in the Advents, I don't see it being included before?
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Are there Postal / TXT Advents?
    Are these posted elsewhere or should I add a section in the Advents, I don't see it being included before?

There was a text comp last year it was just added onto the end of another section
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66830885&postcount=12
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • Just want to add my thanks too, you're a star for taking it on x
    "Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into someone else's nonsense, tell yourself: Not my circus, not my monkeys." - Mark Borkowski.
  • leanfun30
    leanfun30 Posts: 3,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you for taking this on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business