Asda Leg of Lamb

I bought Leg of Lamb from my local Asda on Saturday which had a very strange smell when roasting on Sunday. After tasting a piece I believe there is definately something wrong with it and I am about to take it back. The awful thing is we had 9 people for Easter Sunday lunch which was completely ruined and we ended up having tuna salad !! Just wondering if anyone else had any problems with lamb bought from Asda this weekend.

Comments

• Searcher
    Searcher Posts: 600 Forumite
    Which store was it?
    We bought a rack of lamb from Wembley and it was fine when we ate it yesterday.
  • Searcher wrote: »
    Which store was it?
    We bought a rack of lamb from Wembley and it was fine when we ate it yesterday.

I wonder what the chances are that both you and the OP bought your lamb from the same store?
  • eranou
    eranou Posts: 377 Forumite
    I wonder what the chances are that both you and the OP bought your lamb from the same store?

About 1 in 270
  • Searcher
    Searcher Posts: 600 Forumite

Pretty slim I reckon but the question was

"Just wondering if anyone else had any problems with lamb bought from Asda this weekend."

Which I read as Asda in general rather than store specific!
  • rze1979
    rze1979 Posts: 28 Forumite
    I had a very similar experience yesterday - although my lamb was from Sainsburys. I bought it a few weeks ago and put it straight into the freezer, defrosted it on Saturday to cook for family yesterday. Throughout cooking it did smell a bit unusual and had a very strong taste (more like mutton) - I got my husband to check it was edible and he said it just seemed very strong - I had to serve it cos had nothing else!!
    Hopefully my guests haven't come down with anything nasty - we all seem ok!!:o
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Our Lamb from Sainsburys smelled funny, tasted ok tho
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Not meaning to sound like a food snob but I never buy any meat from Supermarkets apart from meat for sarnies.
    I prefer to buy mine from my butchers in my town.Much better service,I can see the meat before I buy it as opposed to it being wrapped in polystrene & film,which make the meat sweat.
    It's also more traceable with less food miles,properly hung if required & for Christmas,I get my duck & pheasant from there too.
    I also find it cheaper buying from my butcher too,
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've had cheese from Asda that has gone mouldy well in the sealed pack well before the best-before date.

I know this doesn't help the OP, just wanted to say it!
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    spike7451 wrote: »
    I also find it cheaper buying from my butcher too,

The lamb we got was half price local butchers cant get close when they have there offers on meat like that at the supermarkets.

Apart from when the have offers on we buy from the butchers, luckily around here we are spoilt for choice there are quite a few decent butchers locally :j

Im off tomorrow to get some Lincolnshire Red steak from one of the farm butchers :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure