PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Comments

• I received a letter from M+S about 7 weeks ago stating I may have been miss sold ppi I completed a few questions over the phone I received a letter stating all the loan accounts I have had with them over the years. I was shocked to see ppi had been added to them all I was offered a staggering £13,227 this has been accepted and paid to me all done and dusted in 7 weeks very easy process and well worth pursuing. Just hope my claim with Lloyds is as straight forward !!
  • wasawasa
    wasawasa Posts: 9 Forumite
    I had a response from HSBC and although they agreed I had been misold PPI they had no records. I had had the loan from 1995 and used It all the time until 2000 therefore paid PPI every month for 5 yrs. It is a flexable loan and the facilty is still active now should we want to use it, minus the PPI ploicy which has now been cancelled by the bank. We did use it once briefly in 2007 and they have offered us £227 redress for this very brief period, it was repaid very quickly. I asked HSBC to consider calculating a redress as we have been customers since 1977, they flatley refused, so I have referred then to the ombudsman, it may take over a year, however they have already admitted we were missold, but I am so unahppy with them as we genuinley did pay PPI every month for 5 years. I have sent copies of letters etc to the ombudsman, but can they tell the bank to calculate a redress, if the bank have no records or is it likely that we will we just be told sorry but no? others seem to have much more luck than we did and as genuine missold PPI customers, I at present am very unhappy with HSBC. The saga started with the bank telling us initially there was no PPI on the loan, but we had been phoned by the bank after enquiring to say there was, so one of the letters sent to the ombudsman show they lied to us? Any thoughts on how the ombudsman may react to this, and how long are complaints now taking?
  • I made a 7 minute phone call to Natwest (RBS) on Friday, spoke to a very nice and helpful advisor, answered 7 very easy questions and today (Wednesday) they have offered me £120 as a 'goodwill gesture', although looking at the calculations this is what I am due! Cannot complain at that service! Now just to respond and receive my cheque....
    :j Growing Older is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional :j
  • I submitted my claim with RBS last month and today recieved an offer letter of £10,385!!!

I'm so glad I finally listened to my Dad as he had been going on at me since the whole PPI scandel came out - I was convinced I wouldn't get anything but with his help in filling out the form, I'm so glad I did!!! :j
  • Im feeling a bit confused. I rang Barclays in December to ask about PPI...and was told I could claim absoultely nothing by a very arrogant custer services person. As I wasnt convinced I went to a claims manangement company.....and to cut a long story short...I have 6 agreements with PPI attached. One has been paid today for overdrafts and the other 5 are being investigated. What really annoyed me is that now im losing 30% to a claims company all because I was mis informed back in December. Is there anything I can do. I have the call on my phone bill to Barclays and wondered whether its worth asking them for a copy of the call.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There will be nothing you can do. If you asked about 'claiming' then they were entirely accurate, you can claim for nothing on PPI that you have stopped paying. If you had asked to make a complaint, then that would be different.

It was your choice to use a claims company because you weren't convinced instead of sending a SAR and a £10 cheque.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    wasawasa wrote: »
    I had a response from HSBC and although they agreed I had been misold PPI they had no records. I had had the loan from 1995 and used It all the time until 2000 therefore paid PPI every month for 5 yrs. It is a flexable loan and the facilty is still active now should we want to use it, minus the PPI ploicy which has now been cancelled by the bank. We did use it once briefly in 2007 and they have offered us £227 redress for this very brief period, it was repaid very quickly. I asked HSBC to consider calculating a redress as we have been customers since 1977, they flatley refused, so I have referred then to the ombudsman, it may take over a year, however they have already admitted we were missold, but I am so unahppy with them as we genuinley did pay PPI every month for 5 years. I have sent copies of letters etc to the ombudsman, but can they tell the bank to calculate a redress, if the bank have no records or is it likely that we will we just be told sorry but no? others seem to have much more luck than we did and as genuine missold PPI customers, I at present am very unhappy with HSBC. The saga started with the bank telling us initially there was no PPI on the loan, but we had been phoned by the bank after enquiring to say there was, so one of the letters sent to the ombudsman show they lied to us? Any thoughts on how the ombudsman may react to this, and how long are complaints now taking?

As this flexi account is still live, I would have thought that they would have this info, do you have no proof either, don't you get statements every month, even though the account is not used should it not still generate a statement?, I have an account like this with HBOS it has not been used for years but I still get statements monthly and a yearly one.

You should have done a Sar request with the bank, this may have proved more fruitful for you.

If they have no proof and neither do you, the FOS cannot get the proof and they may side with the bank.
    This should not take long if there is no proof of the PPI paid previously as there will be nothing to investigate, it may help to send the Sar request to HSBC, enclose £10 and ask for all info they hold on you, this will take approx 40 days but it may, it may not, throw up extra info, 13 years is a long time but you never know.
  • Just wanted to say we have today received an offer from Barclays of all our payments back plus interest!

Total of 19.5k ! It was on a secured loan that we had thankfully now paid off! Lesson learnt.

It has been a long battle and has taken us two years but definitely worth it. Keep fighting !

Many thanks to this site and all the advice.

:beer::beer:
  • Zzippyman
    Zzippyman Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 8 August 2013 at 1:19PM
    I received a letter today from Nationwide informing me my claim had not been upheld. A bit of background:
    Our PPI with Nationwide dated from when my wife and I took out a mortgage with them in 1992, at which time we clearly remember the strongly implied message that we would not have been granted a mortgage had we not taken out a mortgage payment protection policy, to 2005 when we paid off our mortgages early. At that time we didn't feel we needed it as our wages were always more than enough to cover the payments if one of us was unemployed/sick etc.. Over time, our careers developed and the mortgage payments became less of a percentage of our income amounts, so we were in a position to pay off our mortgage six years early. We did take out another mortgage on another property in 2001 and increased that amount in 2003, but we declined PPI for those as they weren't necessary as we intended paying them off early as well. During that time, we made one claim in 1993 and another in 2005 for unemployment payment, although we only took payment for the first as we paid off the mortgages before payment of the second in 2005. Nationwide have asked for documentation of my employer's sickness payment arrangements/timescales from 1992 - naturally I don't have them.

I'm taking my claim to the Ombudsman for two main reasons:

Firstly, as I've highlighted in bold above: "the strongly implied message that we would not have been granted a mortgage had we not taken out a mortgage payment protection policy". Nationwide have argued that we had PPI explained to ourselves when we applied for the mortgage (which is true, we did tick that box), but we clearly recall feeling we had no choice but to accept it, so we have to argue our side of the case without any documentary evidence showing what influenced us to tick that box.

And secondly, Nationwide's argument that our making a claim against the policy in 1993 proves our need for such a policy (they even suggested it was "prudent" in their letter - no change there then). We don't agree, the mortgage amount was easily payable by ourselves at that time, our claim was merely made to collect what we were due from a policy we had been paying for. We feel that our being able to pay off our mortgages early (as we'd planned) proves we had no need for PPI in the first place.

We feel we have been fobbed off by a "cut and paste" argument that could be applied to any mortgage applicants claim from that time - we simply cannot prove that we sat across from the mortgage arranger and felt pressured into taking out PPI for fear of not receiving a mortgage amount.

Now I'm not being opportunistic or greedy in my claim, I simply want them to reconsider - and not do it again. I am being moany though :)
  • wasawasa
    wasawasa Posts: 9 Forumite
    amersall wrote: »
    As this flexi account is still live, I would have thought that they would have this info, do you have no proof either, don't you get statements every month, even though the account is not used should it not still generate a statement?, I have an account like this with HBOS it has not been used for years but I still get statements monthly and a yearly one.

You should have done a Sar request with the bank, this may have proved more fruitful for you.

If they have no proof and neither do you, the FOS cannot get the proof and they may side with the bank.
    This should not take long if there is no proof of the PPI paid previously as there will be nothing to investigate, it may help to send the Sar request to HSBC, enclose £10 and ask for all info they hold on you, this will take approx 40 days but it may, it may not, throw up extra info, 13 years is a long time but you never know.

Thanks for your help, no I do not ever get statements and have not for years, I am surprised myself that the bank have not got info from when we commenced the loan as it is still active and potentially could be used. My only thought was that as the FO will be able to see from the letters i sent them recived from HSBC we have been lied to and I was hoping they could tell the bank to calculate an estimated redress, as I know some people get lucky and get an offer without any investigation. Do you that this could be a possibilty?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback