Teachers retiring

Options
Are there any teachers on here that regret retiring early?

After the summer I will enter my final year and will have served 33 years.

I used to love the job, but poor behaviour, ridiculous workload is pushing me out of the door. I don't think anyone that has not done the job can begin to understand what I'm talking about. For those that claim it to be a doddle, go try it for a week.

Any regrets former early retired teachers?

Frugal
Early retired in summer 2018 and loving it

Comments

• westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I knew a maths teacher who wanted to retire

but it just didn't add up.

........I'll get my coat!!
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    frugal90 wrote: »
    Are there any teachers on here that regret retiring early?

After the summer I will enter my final year and will have served 33 years.

I used to love the job, but poor behaviour, ridiculous workload is pushing me out of the door. I don't think anyone that has not done the job can begin to understand what I'm talking about. For those that claim it to be a doddle, go try it for a week.

Any regrets former early retired teachers?

Frugal

I'm a lecturer not a teacher, and I handed in my notice to retire last December (on the verge of my 59th birthday), but they approached me and asked me to work one day a week, which I have just started to do (I had to work 40% for a short while). I think that I will be much happier working one day a week rather than being retired.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just go down the page to the young teacher asking about AVCs or added pension- they say they will be staying to age 65? Because they want to
    4372 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Only you will know your personal financial and other relevant circumstances. I did 34 years in teaching, felt like you seem to towards the end. Called it a day 4 years ago, Took a hit on the pension, but that has been outweighed by the freedom I now have to relax and enjoy life. I would recommend it all day long. Good luck, whatever you decide.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They are retiring in droves - for the reasons that you mentioned. New ones does not cost schools so much as they are not as high on a payscale and they are less grated by tick boxing and fiddling results which seem to be one main focus nowadays. New ones do not know any different. Mind , a lot of them seem to quit , I seen somewhere numbers as high as one third of graduates changing career.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    I knew a maths teacher who wanted to retire

but it just didn't add up.

Maybe he was being obtuse.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've a mortgage to pay off that will take me till I'm 66 (London's not cheap for teachers, in fact it's barely affordable at all if it wasn't for the stability of the job).

Fact is, after 30 years I still like the job. OK I'm not a real teacher, I'm in the no-man's land of the college sector where I'm more like a lecturer and don't have to deal with younger pupils. If a lottery win meant I could suddenly pay off my mortgage I'd still enjoy doing the job; many of my colleagues are doing that after retirement age.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    My landlord is a 54 year old teacher.

His current plan is to drop one day a week each year and finish before he's 60. He's had no regrets about dropping to four days last September.
  • woolly_wombat
    Options
    frugal90 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone that has not done the job can begin to understand what I'm talking about.

I have not done the job and so have only seen it as an observer (former school science technician).

I can only congratulate you for managing 33 years.

I saw so many fall by the wayside in 8 years. Stress burnout, heart attack, suicide, I've seen it all.

Take care and enjoy your retirement.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Maybe he was being obtuse.

That's a cute pun.

Re the OP: Not all schools have discipline problems, have you applied for jobs at any others?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure