PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• Hi HKMINKA - thanks for the info, we've had the end on the 12th, the 21st and the 22nd so far this week, I'm beginning to think December is somewhat fated this year - by the way Happy Christmas just in case any of them are right. Come to think of it Happy Christmas in case they are all wrong!!!!!!!!! Cheers Lyn P.S Looking forward to New Year too!!!!!
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rosieben wrote: »
    yes me too, sorry didn't mean to sound ungrateful D :o

Oh, I didn't think you did - but I thought I sounded ungrateful!
    Karen_ wrote: »
    If any of you are seriously worried about some major disruption to normal life, I would suggest that rather than stockpiling a few months supply of chopped tomatoes, why not invest the money spent on stockpiling on a course such as self sufficiency/bushcraft/foraging etc.

In a disaster those with the practical skills to live are the ones who will survive. Those with a well stocked larder and no practical skills will not in the long run.

Thank you Karen, I know some people have already been on such courses & say how jolly helpful they are, & I'd love to go on 1, too.

As a single parent, finding the childcare to do courses isn't always easy... Of course, being a single parent is all the more reason to be prepared for stuff!

I think there's all sorts of things to prepare for though, illnesses, price increases, job loss... & having food in the house so one doesn't have to go out/buy at higher prices/use redundancy money on food is also jolly useful.

hkminca wrote: »
    Hi
    I've been lurking, but just thought I'd mention the Mayan calendar predicts it will end on 21st Dec, not
    22nd - didn't want you guys to miss it, so to speak by thinking you had a day longer than you did ;-)

Rats, that's the boys last day of schools before the Christmas holidays! Now, do I make sure they're up for school that day, or have a lie in & tell the schools I'm not sending them as it's the end of the world?
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Excellent stuff:)

I forgot to say welcome aboard! :)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    D&DD wrote: »
    Pops yes you click on buy and it comes up as 0.00 I have set the one click thingy up for the freebies as its easier when theres lots I want then I use the proper checkout when doing a real shop I'm paying for if that makes sense? The PC app means you won't have to buy a kindle either have fun!! :D
    I'll be back later if you need more help

Noo yes please do update :) X

Thank you D&DD. I'll give that a go and have some fun. From what you say I will have to give my CC details but I won't be charged...fantastic...
    Pops, when I used the link from my browser on my phone, it wanted me to log into amazon, but from the free kindle application on my phone (where I'm always logged in so I can see my downloads) it just put it straight on. Do you have an amazon account?

I have an Amazon account but now being in my situation will probably be buying very little and I have the kindle software on my laptop for downloading but it does not not download directly but may kick in when I do what D&DD suggests. I don't own a Kindle as yet.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    D&DD wrote: »
    oh what a shame sorry Rosie :( some go on and off so quickly and others sit on there for weeks!

I'm sure someone who's a bit technical minded can probably help me to email it :D

Just getting ready for the meet tomorrow so looking forward to seeing everyone :j should be great fun!

I missed it too:(just have to be a bit quicker...it may come around again...or maybe it's worth £1.90:p

I think you can burn downloaded books to CD/DVD.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There are plenty of bushcraft tutorials on youtube if you want to learn basics, handy for going camping:D Courses are not cheap now unfortunately and as I know I have forgotten more than I ever knew would love a refresher for an old codger like me but all geared for mobile fairly active people so I just refresh via the videos and books and adapt for me now although have to be something major to make me toddle out:rotfl:

With all these end of the world predictions we need to learn to step and so can go live in 'The Long Earth ( Terry Pratchett 2012) now that would be a handy skill to have ;)
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Thanks Karen thats a really good point re learning skills :D a point which would follow on nicely too is that if the food delivery system was disrupted for a prolonged period food storage alone would not cut it you'd have to have plans in place for growing stuff/livestock etc.

Another that I think may have been mentioned is to know how your gadgets work..try stuff out to make sure you know what to do with it rather than having to learn in an emergency situation.
    I'd also suggest checking water storage bags etc for leaks too,it can happen they do perish in storage after a few years.

Rosie/spiky lol I know what you meant :D don't worry yourselves X

Hello HKminca nice to meet you too lol by the time they make up their minds when its going to happen we'll all be long gone!
  • PAH - Do you mean the crawstep? if so are you ready for pictsies? A bit like life with a lurcher but, more predictable!!! Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It is a good idea Karen, I know GQ has been on courses. Im lucky as Oh is ex army and knows his stuff. DD's fella is also ex army and has studied bushcraft etc from being young - his dad was keen that his children should all know whats what. I can skin a rabbit and dress a bird learnt as a child as I spent my holidays in the countryside.

We make everything we can ourselves and though OH not well he now instructs me and I do the physical work. Am working on making an outdoor stove from an empty gas bottle as per instructions from a chap we met at the recent preppers get together (including the safety points in how to remove all gas).

My foraging is improving though limited to my respite days. I would love to find wild garlic so am going to try the resevoirs as they seem the best place. I really need to go and get the rosehips this week so am hoping to find a reason for DD to take her dad out for a few hours.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If any of you are seriously worried about some major disruption to normal life, I would suggest that rather than stockpiling a few months supply of chopped tomatoes, why not invest the money spent on stockpiling on a course such as self sufficiency/bushcraft/foraging etc.

In a disaster those with the practical skills to live are the ones who will survive. Those with a well stocked larder and no practical skills will not in the long run.
    :) I did that in Sept 2011, hun. So am now free to stockpile tomatoes to my hearts' content, as well as knowing how to process stuff like the seeds of Fat Hen into a damper-style bread and various other archane practices which would be familiar to our Early Neolithic ancestors. Plus can spin wool on a drop-spindle and weave on various types of looms, knit and sew etc etc.

And if I run out of paracord I can make twine from nettles, among other things. :rotfl: Post SHTF, a lot of us will be very busy little bees.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills