Keep Nationwide Select Credit Card?

MDMD
MDMD Posts: 1,429 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Hi all

I currently have four cards ( Halifax Reward, Santander 123, First Direct Gold and Natiowide Select)

The Select card has recently finished its 15 month interest free period and I was thinking of cancelling it as most of the spending goes on the 123 or Halifax card.

Is there any benefit to keeping it, as I can't see that much will go through it to generate a massive amount of cash back. I no longer have a Nationwide account as I switched my old flex direct account to M&S for the voucher.

I think from reading the T&C that if I cancel the card I get this year's payment early.

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    I keep a Nationwide card. Anything that qualifies for Santander 123 cashback goes on there, everything else on the Nationwide. 0.5% cashback is better that nothing.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    MDMD wrote: »
    Is there any benefit to keeping it, ...
    No load on foreign currency transactions?
  • velocity_girl
    velocity_girl Posts: 963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I keep the Nationwide Select Card for zero commission on foreign spending, 0.5% cash back is an added bonus. It's the only card I use abroad.
    2018 wins: Aspinal of London jewellery box, Boudavida gym outfit, HP Pavilion laptop, The List party tickets, All Points East festival tickets, Kiehls moisturiser, By Terry cc serum, Nars Liquid Bronzer, Benefit highlighter, Nars illuminator, Fresh advanced lip trio set, Cetaphil sample set, signed copy of My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent
  • MDMD
    grumbler wrote: »
    No load on foreign currency transactions?

This is a good point but I can get that on my Halifax card and I don't go abroad enough for this to be a major issue.

I'm applying for a mortgage in the next 2-3 months and wondered if combined credit of 14k on 50k income would be seen as excessive. I have a balance of 3k at 0% on the 123, which I need to decide whether to pay off.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MDMD wrote: »
    This is a good point but I can get that on my Halifax card and I don't go abroad enough for this to be a major issue.

I'm applying for a mortgage in the next 2-3 months and wondered if combined credit of 14k on 50k income would be seen as excessive. I have a balance of 3k at 0% on the 123, which I need to decide whether to pay off.

Wouldn't have thought the credit looks too bad, might be worth paying off the balance transfer though.

If this is your major consideration then maybe worth posting on the housing or mortgages boards where there are brokers who could advise in more detail.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    What benefit is there to owning and keeping the FD card? Does it give you something that makes it more useful/profiable to you than the Nationwide card?
  • MDMD
    agrinnall wrote: »
    What benefit is there to owning and keeping the FD card? Does it give you something that makes it more useful/profiable to you than the Nationwide card?

There is 0% on that one too (although no balance at present) but if I'm honest it's also because I like the gold lettering. Agree that it's not really a reason to keep the card

I applied because of the £25 cash back they were giving a few months ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure