Probate and Tax

Hello again,

I posted a query last July called " Inheritance Taxation Query".

Thanks again for those replies.

Further to the same matter, probate of my Mothers estate is nearing completion I have been asked by the solicitors acting to submit the amount of grandchildren living.
So myself and my siblings each have to declare how many children they have (myself is 4, and in fact the total is 13) and I am told this information is required for a Tax form that the solicitors acting are required to complete.
My query is that the grandchildren are not mentioned at all in Mothers will so I dont understand why this would be necessary for the Government to know ?
Also, all of the grandchildren of my Mother all have WAGS and children and jobs and homes of their own, so the significance of this information eludes me.

Thanks again, in advance for any pointers about this.

G

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Probably quicker and easier to just do it. Seems they are not asking any personal info - just numbers.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • The information is required for probate form PA1 (nothing to do with tax) and has to be supplied on all probate applications.
  • The information is required for probate form PA1 (nothing to do with tax) and has to be supplied on all probate applications.
    Agreed but for what useful purpose|?
  • Yes, just to be clear again, my query is... "so I dont understand why this would be necessary for the Government to know ?"

I am going to submit the information, want to know why.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,815 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Agreed but for what useful purpose|?

From looking at form PA1, it appears that you can fill it in even if the deceased died intestate, as one of the questions asks if a will exists or not. If not, it then appears to ask the number of the various types of relations who would potentially be entitled to inherit the estate under the intestacy rules.
  • >>>>>>> I am told this information is required for a Tax form that the solicitors acting are required to complete.

I think you will have to ask the solicitor, as I'm not aware of any such tax form that would need this.

The information IS required on the initial application for probate. (PA1). It is needed to show the relative priority of the various different people who potentially could apply for Letters of Administration. I would guess that it is asked routinely, even if there is a will, in case a will turns out to be invalid and the estate becomes intestate.

But if your mother died over six months ago, surely the solicitors are beyond the stage of applying for probate? Are they trying to cloud the issue a bit to cover up the fact that they somehow 'forgot' to do the application??
  • Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    Solicitors don't fill out a PA1.

I think the question is on the IHT 205 but I have no idea why they do ask it as it's hardly if ever going to be relevant and definitely not if there is a will.
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
  • Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    Correction - it was on the IHT205 but isn't any more if the death was after September 2006.

So I've no clue at all why they need to know.
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
  • Thank you all so much for your replies. I learn so much from you, as I suspected I would, especially as I really feel quite inadequate asking the acting solicitors why they're doing or asking something.
    You have fore-armed me now. Brilliant !
    Thanks again. Much appreciated.

G
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills