Ford Mondeo - Knackered Pistons...

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    As above, the rings have gone, strip and rebuild is the cheapest option. (a second hand engine may have similar probs)
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • johnnyroper
    johnnyroper Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Thanks forgotmyname and Paddedjohn finally some users who actually saw in the original post using oil and emissions fault and put 2 and 2 together rather than waffling on about cannot be seized pistons.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2010 at 6:23PM
    Piston rings stuck not pistons, any one thinking the other way should not be posting advice on this subject :mad:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    ^^ Well that's what I thought, as I said it'd not be running at all.
    Piston rings would suggest improper servicing, wrong engine oil and overheating..... Better to get another engine as this one (even with the piston rings changed) is going to be utterly knackered :(
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • johnnyroper
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Piston rings would suggest improper servicing, wrong engine oil and overheating..... Better to get another engine as this one (even with the piston rings changed) is going to be utterly knackered :(

If that is what you thought why not make the stuck ring suggestion in your original post?

The rings on the 1.8 ford are notorious for this problem and does not mean engine is totally knackered. I have had this problem a few times in the past once on a calibra turbo once on a 1.4 corsa and once on a 1.3 fiesta as you say cause most likely lack of oil change, but the engines were recoverable and did not need changing.liquid decoke overnight sorted the ones I had but if that does not work I would look at costs to strip and repair versus changing for another engine to see which is more cost effective route to go down.
  • johnnyroper
    Another thing that can achieve good results freeing sticky oil control rings is using ATF oil in a similar way to liquid decoke through a vac hose.and then dropping about 15ml down plug hole overnight to penetrate in to the ring seats. Be warned it will smoke like mad for a while as it burns of the oil
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    I have to add that the biggest culprit in the gooed up ring (matron please) debate is constant cold running. IE, the engine being used on short a to b journeys without the oportunity to "clear it's throat". ;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Got to say, I have seen Ford Mondeo's 1.8 LX on a 2003-2004 plate for £1500 on Gumtree!
  • shanks84
    shanks84 Posts: 257 Forumite
    As I said above high oil use and fail emissions will not be seized pistons it will most likely be sticking oil control rings this will not result in noises or shaking of engine as some on here seem to think.
    It will actually result in some oil bypassing said sticking ring and being burnt off,the cat and lambda may be clogged with oily crap adding to the problem,cylinders could also be glazed.
    Try getting another garage to have a look before doing anything

Yep, this is exactly what the mechanic said. He ran some oil system cleaner through (it was STP - cant exactly remember what it was), changed the oil and filter, and that didnt resolve it

An update. Since I picked it up today and drove it a short distance, it's now juddering when I accelerate? I'm guessing that this is related :(

Going to take it to another garage tomorrow down the road to get a second opinion, but I'm not at all optimistic
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Strider590 wrote: »

Not sure why it happens but the 1.8 petrol in the MK3 mondeo's seem quite prone to it. Doesnt seem to affect the 2.0 petrol cars as much if at all.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure