New post created and ring fenced

At the moment we are going through redundancy consultation because of a restructure. We have been ring-fenced for one "new" position as our section will now no longer exist.

I did not take the VR option to give me the chance of getting the 3 month redeployee status and if no work of interest comes up taking the CR money which is no different than the VR package offered.

The questions are :-

1) do i have to apply for the ring-fenced position if it is a new position?
2) during the redeployee period do I have to apply for jobs?
3) if I find a job outside my company within the redeployee period am i still entitled to the redundancy if I do not want to see out the time period?

Thanks for listening!!

Red

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    If the ringfenced job is a suitable alternative they can just select someone to do it.

Same with any jobs if in a redeploy pool.

Depends how the company handle these situations when the realise those in the pool are not trying to get a job.

If you resign no statutory redundancy your place may be more generous.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there no guidance on what the redeployed status means? At my place they offer you positions they believe are suitable for you and if you don't apply for them, without good reason, it's gross misconduct and you can be dismissed.

If you hand your notice in you will have resigned and not been made redundant. Not many places will pay you redundancy if they don't have to.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Kynthia wrote: »
    Is there no guidance on what the redeployed status means? At my place they offer you positions they believe are suitable for you and if you don't apply for them, without good reason, it's gross misconduct and you can be dismissed.

If you hand your notice in you will have resigned and not been made redundant. Not many places will pay you redundancy if they don't have to.
    Really? It's gross misconduct? That's novel! And also unfair dismissal!

If there is a position that is suitable for a person at risk, the employer must offer it, unless there are more people at risk than there are jobs, in which case they can hold a selection process. Refusal to apply may be deemed as failure to cooperate, and lead to the refusal to pay redundancy pay. But in no world is it gross misconduct. An employer doing that is an idiot - it would be unfair dismissal, when they can legitimately withhold redundancy pay anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure