MoneySaving Poll: At what age should kids be given their own mobile?

Former_MSE_Sam_M
Former_MSE_Sam_M Posts: 346 Forumite
edited 27 September 2016 at 12:55PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 27 September 2016

At what age should kids be given their own mobile?

Times are a-changing and what was once a novelty is now commonplace.

Of course it depends on the child, but we want to know what age you think is acceptable for a child to have their first mobile phone.

Perhaps you think they're a tool that allows kids more freedom. Or are they just another digital distraction?

So how old do you think they should be before they get one?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• I seem to be in the clear minority – but I voted for 6 years (not having kids).

I remember that I got my first phone when I was 11 (in 2001) and back in the days that was obviously not a smartphone. Before that I always had to make sure that I had money on my telephone card and look out for a phone booth if I needed anything from my parents. My parents both worked full-time and it was an absolute nightmare when I forgot my keys or similar.

The reason why I voted for 6 years is that this is the age that children start to go to school in Germany (where I am from) – I think it makes sense to give them a way to contact me as soon as they are more independent than before.
    It's most likely not going to be a smartphone or anything that allows them to access the internet but why would I want to make it more difficult to call me? In the 90s I still had phone booths, they are basically died out nowadays.
    July 'Take Your Lunch To Work' challenge 3/12
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Bit stuck on the poll as I have one child under 18 and one over 18.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Looks like most of us seem to regard a mobile phone as part of secondary school uniform. Which makes sense.

Remind me not to tell my younger two this - we live a few hundred yards from their school so if they want to have tea with a pal, they can drop in & say so. They're both doing GCSEs...
  • I have a 6 month old. And she will be getting a mobile as soon as she starts going to secondary school because i want the contact with her. For example..shes staying at an afterschool club. Or if shes at a friend's and i need to pick her up. I had my first in year 6..im 23now (a good old nokia) i used it for snake and nothing else. And i wasnt allowed to take it to school.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    My daughter is in year 6, and she has just got a phone over the summer. This year she is starting to get more freedom, walking to her primary school on her own, going to the chippy instead of her Dad when we have a chippy tea, being allowed out to her friends houses a bit later than before, etc.
    No point waiting until they start secondary school to give them a phone, and some freedom. They need to gradually build up to it during their last year at primary
    Zebras rock
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    They don't need a phone to have some freedom, just a bit of common sense.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Nickyhusky
    Nickyhusky Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 28 September 2016 at 8:41AM
    I would distinguish between a smartphone and a basic phone - I'd put off the smartphone for as long as I could (I think my son was around 15), but a basic phone is useful from whatever age they start being more independent. I think my son was around 11 or 12, but he used to borrow my phone when necessary before that.
  • Well I won't be clicking on any buttons in this poll as it doesn't have the answer I'd already made my mind up was the correct one before clicking on it - I'd give my kids a phone as soon as I knew they were old enough to have one. Some kids are more sensible than others and do what they're told more than others, so you know you can trust them with a phone!
    So you're not getting any buttons clicked from me as there isn't that option.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    elsien wrote: »
    They don't need a phone to have some freedom, just a bit of common sense.

I know, but it is part of the growing up, and it's for my sake as much as my daughters
    Nickyhusky wrote: »
    I would distinguish between a smartphone and a basic phone - I'd put off the smartphone for as long as I could (I think my son was around 15), but a basic phone is useful from whatever age they start being more independent. I think my son was around 11 or 12, but he used to borrow my phone when necessary before that.

Totally agree with that. My daughters phone is an old basic one with a new sim.
    As a Guide leader it always surprises me how many 10-14 year olds have the latest phones.
    Zebras rock
  • I allowed my son a basic mobile at 11, when he started travelling to and from school on the bus by himself. He has a tablet and a laptop for homework and gaming, do the phone is purely to keep in contact with us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure