Water Bills questions and comment

Comments

• rogersa
    rogersa Posts: 7 Forumite
    Who thinks PakMan was a little abrupt when answering my earlier question?

rogersa
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I dont think Pak-Man was being too abrupt - sometimes though it's difficult to see the nuances in print. He tends to write his messages that way but boy does he know his utilities!

I think the point he was making is 'water companies are commerical organistions are therefore its unlikely they will cut their earnings because people are on benefits' therefore its more likely if money is available then it will be in the form of social security benefits rather than direct reductions from the suppliers.

I must admit this isn't something i've looked into too closely. If you give Citizens Advice a call they can do a full 'benefits check up' and you may find this and other things that you're entitled too.

All the best

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • pakman
    pakman Posts: 25 Forumite
    Sorry for seeming abrupt

I wrote it out the first time then lost all the txt so 2nd time i wrote very short answer.
    The Boss understood where I was coming from, and his longer explanation was wot was intended.

Pak
    :-[
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    don't forget if the water company don't take run of water away u can apply for a dicount
  • pakman
    pakman Posts: 25 Forumite
    Yes, if you have a soak away then there is a discount.  

BUT you have to claim it.  

They won't give it to you.

Pak
  • I have recently changed over to a water meter having calculated that I should save around £100 per year. I have now had my first bill in, (I know it was summer but it is has £167 of water charges - 3/4 of my old water rates).

I have checked against an old bill from my previous property and there is a major difference. On this new one, Thames Water have decided to multiply my meter reading by 4.5 (ish) - the rateable value. This didn't happen 3 years ago in my flat. Do Thames Water do this on all bills?

I thought I would ask before tackling Thames Water.

I know I can change back within the first 12 months if I am unhappy with the meter, but I did think I would make a saving.
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    If you`re on a water meter rateable value does`nt come into it.
    It will show you on the bill how many units you`ve used for the period and also the price per unit.
    Multiply one by the other and that`s the amount you should pay.
    Is it an estimated bill,have you taken your own reading and compared it to theirs.
    If your not happy ring them up and enquire.
  • System
    Hey,

Can anybody give me a rough estimate as to when the water industry is going to be deregulated?

Pak if you've done energy sales then i am sure your Chumping at the bit for this to happen! :)

Cheers

Simon
  • System
    Hello everyone, thanks for this resource - it's a life saver.

I suspect I have a problem that there won't be an answer for. It's to do with the water meters. We've recently had them forced upon us in Tyne and Wear - so there wasn't any choice here. Is there a way to have it taken out? The problem is I keep a lot of fish, and they need water changed regularly. It's going to cost so much that I may have to give up my hobby.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think its true that you can get a reduction if you prove that the water you use does not go back into the mains. What can be done is a sort of reed bed in your garden which is an eco friendly way of cleaning the water, if you put all your waste water through it the water company are not treating it and therefore should charge you less.
    I spose you could keep frogs then ;D
    sorry i dont know more about this but try your local environmental organisations or just ask jeeves if you dont mind all the irrelevant stuff poor old jeeves comes up with !
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business