Options
2»

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2016 at 7:18AM
    Options
    Is your kitchen window on the back or the side? How far are they projecting past your back wall?

In all honesty, I'm not sure how successful a claim for overshadowing from a bungalow kitchen is going to be. They certainly do not count as habitable rooms where I am or in surrounding areas we've worked in.

The suggestion above of claiming overlooking is a non-starter, for obvious reasons!

I would have a chat with the planning officer before you lodge an objection. It needs to be reasoned and well informed before you potentially destroy neighbourly relations.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Overlooking - right to privacy is an issue Planning wise in most areas in Scotland, don't know Planning legislation for other areas of UK. But worth checking out.

The windows on the extension is relevant - you will need to look at the plans they submitted ( And do check it for accuracy - measurements etc).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Overlooking - right to privacy is an issue Planning wise in most areas in Scotland, don't know Planning legislation for other areas of UK. But worth checking out.

It's only a consideration between habitable rooms anywhere in the UK and it's only if you are adding to overlooking, i.e. if a garden is already overlooked then as long as you are not increasing the amount of overlooking it's not an issue
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2016 at 11:06AM
    Options
    Well, I thought it was obvious, but perhaps it isn't. How can you be overlooked by a bungalow? That is not a planning argument because bungalow windows aren't physically over any other property.

If you do have a neighbouring bungalow able to look into your house, put a 6' fence up!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't forget the party wall act, which means they have to pay for independent surveyor, and non of there build must encroch on your land
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Well, I thought it was obvious, but perhaps it isn't. How can you be overlooked by a bungalow? That is not a planning argument because bungalow windows aren't physically over any other property.

If you do have a neighbouring bungalow able to look into your house, put a 6' fence up!

depends a lot on site topography, house design and boundary treatments - also whether a loft has been converted with a dormer - I once had a planning application for a bungalow extension where we had six gardens overlooked by the extension! Took a planning appeal to get it through even after we had proved the overlooking was no worse with the extension...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure