Clingy employee

2»

Comments

• YouAsked
    YouAsked Posts: 97 Forumite
    I was interested that you use IM to communicate. Is this normal in your workplace? I see IMs for quite informal stuff "can I take an early lunch so I can nip into the bank" etc - I wouldn't think they were the right vehicle for actual work related queries and I'm just wondering if this is another indication of blurred boundaries? Could you be leaving yourself open to anything by communicating this way?

It might be the case that this IS normal in your workplace and if so, please disregard.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks everybody - lots of helpful stuff here. I've clearly tried to move on too fast and shape things too quickly.

Appreciate all the comments.

Good luck. Managing staff can be tricky as they are all different with different needs, capabilities, ways and speed of learning, reactions to situations, etc.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    YouAsked wrote: »
    I was interested that you use IM to communicate. Is this normal in your workplace? I see IMs for quite informal stuff "can I take an early lunch so I can nip into the bank" etc - I wouldn't think they were the right vehicle for actual work related queries and I'm just wondering if this is another indication of blurred boundaries? Could you be leaving yourself open to anything by communicating this way?

It might be the case that this IS normal in your workplace and if so, please disregard.

I've worked in places where IM is the first means of communication.

O/P, if you are particularly busy, theres usually an option in which ever IM variant you use to put a "do not disturb" message on, or "Working on XYZ at the minute will reply when I can".

As has been said already, this person has been used to undivided attention and now suddenly isn't getting it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure