Car valuation deduction

Comments

• loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Haggle a bit with the insurance co they will raise their first offer by a wee bit but don't be greedy, be polite and friendly whilst doing it.
  • OK, thanks all for the advice. Just one more question, then, is the consensus that £400 is a fair deduction for the damage? I'll be honest, it seems steep to me, mainly because it's 10% of the value of the car, which sounds a lot when this is a car I was anticipating would last me for probably five or more years after this, given the low mileage and reasonable condition of the engine.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well I guess you could always see if a local bodyshop could tell you how much it would cost to repair the issues, though given its a WO Im unsure if you can take it to a bodyshop?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • maddogb
    maddogb Posts: 473 Forumite
    You are entitled to the £4560, the deduction is about right and you will have little success arguing against that.
    It has taken me a nearly a year and the threat of court action to get a similar value for a car two years younger in pristine condition, mileage on a diesel is negligible
  • maddogb wrote: »
    mileage on a diesel is negligible

It could count as a negative, low milage (for age) on a modern diesel is not usually seen as a good thing
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • maddogb wrote: »
    You are entitled to the £4560, the deduction is about right and you will have little success arguing against that.
    It has taken me a nearly a year and the threat of court action to get a similar value for a car two years younger in pristine condition, mileage on a diesel is negligible
    So, they have now fun a "CAP / HPI" check, which has come up with a revised figure of £3956, after factoring in the damage.

On the Glass's one, they're claiming that £4560 that my Glass's report lists for Dealer Retail Price is the "advertised selling price" rather than the price that the cars actually sell for, and that they use the latter. The report I ordered had no such figure, so I'm not sure if they're telling the truth on that one. Do insurance companies get a different figure from Glass's?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So, they have now fun a "CAP / HPI" check, which has come up with a revised figure of £3956, after factoring in the damage.

On the Glass's one, they're claiming that £4560 that my Glass's report lists for Dealer Retail Price is the "advertised selling price" rather than the price that the cars actually sell for, and that they use the latter. The report I ordered had no such figure, so I'm not sure if they're telling the truth on that one. Do insurance companies get a different figure from Glass's?

Bear in mind that the Glass's guide you (The public) have access to specifically states in the T&Cs that it is not to be used for the purposes of valuations for Insurance purposes.

As Danny has mentioned, advertised prices are regarded as the starting price the seller is prepared to start negotiating downwards from.

There are a few motortraders who frequent this part of MSE, they may well be able to confirm whether the existing damage to the vehicle has the financial impact to the value of the car as the amount the Insurers say.

Personally I would say it would affect the value by £400 as you mention a scratch from a vandal down the side of the car which makes it sound like it's over more than one panel.

Have a read of this link from the Ombudsman, I recommend you read it a couple of times as it is how the Ombudsman expects the Insurer to value the car.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150320001942/http://financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-valuation.html

Pay particular attention to the following as it may help you.

"6. if the guides show different values

Our general approach is to consider whether the insurer's offer is a reasonable one in the light of valuations from the three guides.

If the figure in one guide is significantly out of line with the other two, we are likely to disregard the out-of-line figure – whether it is higher or lower. We are unlikely to decide that the insurer’s offer is reasonable if it is based on, or takes into account, a significantly lower figure.

For example, where the insurer offered £7,000 in line with guide A:

if guide B gives a figure of £7,000 also, but guide C gives a figure of £7,500, we are likely to consider the offer reasonable – because it is generally in line with of the range of values contained in the three guides;

if guide B gives a figure of £6,800 and guide C gives a figure of £7,200, we are likely to consider the offer reasonable – because the differences are not significant;

if both guide B and guide C give a figure of £8,000, we are likely to consider the offer is less than reasonable – because it is significantly out of line with two of the three guides.

What is considered a “significant” difference will vary with the value of the vehicle. A variation of £200 may be insignificant for a vehicle worth about £7,000 – but significant for a vehicle only worth about £1,000. A variation of £100 or less will not usually be significant."

You don't mention the value your Insurer's have obtained from Parkers. If they have not obtained one, ask them to arrange a value from it as they should be using all three.

As others have mentioned, it's often fairly easy to negotiate an extra £200 to £400 as it's often easier for an Insurer to just agree so they can close the claim.
  • Hi, just a quick update - the insurance company are playing hardball. They say they can't squeeze a single extra penny out, even though it would cost them £550 if I go to the Ombudsman.

Everyone tells me they usually pay out an extra £100-£200 to settle the case, but they are refusing to do so.

Thanks.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 October 2016 at 1:10PM
    OK, thanks all for the advice. Just one more question, then, is the consensus that £400 is a fair deduction for the damage? I'll be honest, it seems steep to me, mainly because it's 10% of the value of the car, which sounds a lot when this is a car I was anticipating would last me for probably five or more years after this, given the low mileage and reasonable condition of the engine.
    It would be the same to repair a £400 car when the damage is 100% of the value. Spraying one side of the car is likely to be that sort of price.
    Based on the links already given the value doesn't seem massively out of line.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • maddogb
    maddogb Posts: 473 Forumite
    Hi, just a quick update - the insurance company are playing hardball. They say they can't squeeze a single extra penny out, even though it would cost them £550 if I go to the Ombudsman.

Everyone tells me they usually pay out an extra £100-£200 to settle the case, but they are refusing to do so.

Thanks.

The ombudsman will be a waste of time if they have followed the Fos guide to valuation, the key here is contract law and what the insurers have agreed to read UTCC(1999) section 7.1 and 7.2.
    If the term market value appears in your policy and is not meaningfully defined this law can apply.
    See my thread on esure post any questions there as I need to trim my thread subs down lol
    The terms on the glass website have no value in regards to this nor does the myth about discounts on cash or sticker prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure