what's cheapest to run central heating or Dyson am09?

Options
Hi,
Now the weather is turning colder I'm hoping someone on here can help me work out which is going to be cheapest to run, our central heating or a Dyson am09.

We have a large 5 bedroom house with 10 central heating radiators. Last year we had heating on 2 hours in mornings and 3 hours in evenings.

This year we now have 2 adults at home 24/7, so the heating would need to be on for considerably longer, thinking 8am-8pm on low?

I've recently bought a Dyson am09. The front room has double doors, which can be shut and we could use the am09 to heat this one room and leave the central heating same timings as last year. Or we could put heating on 8am-8pm.

Can anybody explain how I can work out which would be cheaper to run please?
I love a bargain. Now mortgage and debt free. hurray!!:smileyhea

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thought Dyson did vacuum cleaners. What is it?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • shopaholicz
    shopaholicz Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2016 at 10:28AM
    Options
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, that will use exactly 2kw every hour it's on. It will be 100% efficient.
    Hard to say how many kw/h your heating system will use. There are lots of variables. Standard of insulation, temps set in other rooms - the list goes on. Perhaps try to get some readings over a few typical days.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • stevegrass777
    Options
    Gas is normally cheaper than electricity,so I would use the heating,put tvr's on all your rads apart from bathroom and room with wall stat.
    Turn all the tvrs down so your heating only heats the one room you want and bathroom.
    Electric fan heaters are normally expensive to run.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2016 at 11:50AM
    Options
    Considering in mid winter I heat my whole 3 bed detached in N Scotland to 20 deg 24/7 with as much hot water as I can use for less than the price of running a single 1.5 Kw electric heater for the same period I know which option I would choose ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That Dyson heater costs more than my last years winter electric bill running storage heaters on e7.

I would use the central heating as it will be cheaper than peak electric
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't you just turn down (or off) the radiators in the rooms which are not being used?

Remember, if you are only heating specific rooms (by any method) to keep your doors closed.
  • shopaholicz
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I think I've made my choice, to leave the heating on 8am-8pm and try and turn down radiators in unused bedrooms.
  • Pete9501
    Pete9501 Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Can't you just turn down (or off) the radiators in the rooms which are not being used?

Remember, if you are only heating specific rooms (by any method) to keep your doors closed.

Then someone walks into a cold room, there is a blast of warm moist air forced into the room, the door closed and it settles on a cold spot causing mould particularly on an outside wall. Low heat in all rooms and doors open for ventilation for me.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hmm - if you can afford that Dyson then you can afford to waste money using it. It costs 10 times more than it should!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure