local chippy

am off tomorrow for an interview at local chippy. Worked out just two shifts a week will bring in about £100 a week!!!! Surely I can manage that?
DFW 228 LONG H 68
DFD 2017 :eek:

Comments

• dobbie82
    dobbie82 Posts: 321 Forumite
    Good luck :-)

How many hours is that then? sounds very well paid for a chippy! even two 8 hour shifts would be about £8 an hour to end up with £100 take home.

well worth it if you can manage the extra work
  • djheath
    djheath Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ahhh this brings back memories. I used to work in my local chippy when I was a young un 17-18. It was the best job I ever had!! It was so much fun and all the free grub you could eat. Me and mate basically ran the place after the management couldn't sort out a manager so had to do all the cooking and serving.

If they ask you any questions like "how do you know when the food is cooked?" The answer is "when it floats!". Alright its not, but thats what we used to go on!!

And if they dont do pea fritters than suggest them! Best invention in the world!!
  • Done a chippy before. Great fun. Hours are normally 4 - 12 at approx 7.50 an hour.

Havent had pea fritters but love deep fried double deckers!!! Last time i worked in a chippy we tried deep frying everything in the shop LOL. Only real 'failure' was malteasers!!!
    DFW 228 LONG H 68
    DFD 2017 :eek:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Blimey. Where I lived chippies were only ever minimum wage and they wanted under 18s to work there as it was a cheaper minimum wage.

I was always looking for a 2nd job and after you've taken off 20% tax it really started to look a miserable amount to smell of chips. Even with the new minimum wage for over 22s it's only £4.42 take home, so that'd take 23 hours.

But if you can make such a fortune from it - good luck - and I bet you get free food .... mmmmm free pie/chips.

I've always recommended to friends looking for a 2nd job: get one in a food place - you get fed free too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure