PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my friend I want to pay less rent?

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Robothell wrote: »
    So my opinion is different to most here. OK, the friend is probably paying more than just mortgage in terms of the upkeep and running of the house (council tax/rates, utilities, buildings insurance etc.) and may be letting through an agent to the tenant. It is not unreasonable for the home owner to make a profit unless the idea is that the tenant is helping out with the affordability of the mortgage as a favour. But it does depend on the terms of the agreement in the initial period. I would say, however, that it's never too late to renegotiate the terms of the agreement (although you tend to be in a stronger position before you move in). The trick is to find somewhere else of similar standard at a lower price and use that as leverage - if you're a good tenant and always pay the rent on time then any landlord (friend or not) would likely rather keep you than go to an unknown tenant. But you need to be prepared to move if they dig their heels in.

The friend is a lodger, not a tenant.

The homeowner won't be using an agent - not for a lodger, and not to a friend.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • davidc60
    davidc60 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 20 September 2017 at 9:57AM
    The guy is NOT your friend. He is playing you - effectively getting you to buy his house for him and pay for some extra drinking money on top. You can be sure that he WILL be laughing at you behind your back. Best thing is to move out asap. without explanation, even if it means paying more to stay elsewhere for a while. Be more circumspect in your choice of 'friends'.
  • Why did you move in if you thought the rent was steep?

If you don't like it just move out. You agreed to pay it so his mortgage payments have nothing to do with you.
  • davidc60 wrote: »
    The guy is NOT your friend. He is playing you - effectively getting you to buy his house for him and pay for some extra drinking money on top. You can be sure that he WILL be laughing at you behind your back. Best thing is to move out asap. without explanation, even if it means paying more to stay elsewhere for a while. Be more circumspect in your choice of 'friends'.

What tosh! The lodger agreed to it, they must benefit from living with a friend also, but it sounds to me like the lodger thought they could expect cheaper rent because it's a friend, we don't know if it is market rate or not. Ultimately they decided to move in, they weren't forced and they probably have no contact in place so are welcome to move out any time they like. The owner is not getting him to do anything, they moved in of their own free will.
  • The time for saying something was before you moved in and when your friend told you the rent they wanted - why on earth didn't you say something if you thought it was "steep"?!

You've probably got a bigger problem now in bringing this up as your friend has got used to the extra income.

If you want to say something, wait for the right moment - when you're both relaxed and neither has to rush off to anything.

Good luck in a good outcome but if your friend is not happy to reduce and you are happy living there, then I'd put up with it and learn from this.
  • You're a moron!
    It has absolutely nothing to do with you how much your friend pays on his mortgage!
    How did you even find out?... I'm guessing that a person like you went snooping through his personal documents?
    The world is full of leeches like you!
    The kind of person who just wants to coast easily through life, and not have to work hard or do anything difficult to get what they want.
    And it's also because of this that you haven't got a clue about all the expenses there are when owning a property.
    Taxes and repair costs are high enough, never mind having to pay for things like insurance or general maintenance.
    So it's quite simple really... either pay what you should, or stop being such a parasite and leave!!
  • Kazt2006 wrote: »
    How does the amount paid compared other similar rentals - I.e room rental in the area or even 1 bed flat rentals?

This is pretty much the only relevant factor in this case - market rates.
  • Although your friend may have a smaller mortgage payment than your rental payment, they may have put down a large deposit on the house, which may be why their mortgage is lower, so in effect they have kind of paid much more. Also, there is an inconvenience in not having the house to yourself as well as all the other issues everyone else has mentioned.
  • Two important points.
    1 your friend's (the landlord) out goings have nothing to do with you (the tenant) or your rent, that's his business.
    2. you, the tenant, agreed to pay your friend, the landlord, a rent. End of. You have no right to now question that sum **.
    If you are having difficulties paying your rent or can find equivalent accommodation at significantly lower inclusive (utilities etc.) cost then you have a choice.
    Move out to cheaper!
    **Rent charged by landlords may be covered by local council legislation to ensure habitable accommodation and prevent extortionate prices (Rent Tribunal). I'm assuming this does not apply to you.
  • I don't have a mortgage, does that mean you would pay nothing to be my lodger? You would still use my gas, electricity, water, broadband. There would be wear and tear on my property. I need to pay council tax, buildings insurance, contents insurance, maintenance (i have a leasehold property).
    When i had a mortgage i paid £150 a month, but rental of a room would be about £600 a month. The two aren't related but market rates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure