Canada Square Operations Letter regarding Egg Card Complaint!!

Good Evening all,

Hoping someone can help me.

I complained to Egg regarding a PPI claim on an Egg card in 2013 which was rejected. I have received a letter from Canada Square Operations this morning saying the following-

"YOU CAN MAKE A NEW TYPE OF
COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR PPI"

"Following a Supreme Court decision and new rules and guidance from the Financial Condict Authority,you can now make a new type of complaint to us about the sale of your PPI policy".

Anyone else received a letter like this?

Comments

• Many people will have received such a letter which is a reference to Plevin. Just follow the instructions on the letter if you wish to complain, but you'll only receive a refund if the commission on your PPI was over 50%.
  • Ah right ok. Thank you for replying and the advice.
  • Just got mine through today for my Egg Credit Card.

I had a rejection when PPI first landed and then took nearly 2 years for the Ombudsman to look at it and had some thicko phone me up and flat out refuse it.(no idea if I ticked the box or not :) )

Have they been forced to write to everyone or is this an admission to affected people? Surely they know straight off who is and isn't affected?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 September 2017 at 1:59PM
    Have they been forced to write to everyone or is this an admission to affected people? Surely they know straight off who is and isn't affected?
    Certainly only those whose complaints were rejected are potentially in line for any refund, so they'll only be writing to rejectees. Do remember that only if the commission was above 50% and this was not visible at the time of the sale will a refund (of the commission not the PPI) be issued. There is no "admission" in the letter, it's just information.

It's actually not yet clear what kind of PPI will likely be most affected, but it looks like mainly the single premium variety of PPI charged on loans.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high; remember that this is only commission over 50%, not the whole PPI policy, which will potentially be refunded.
  • NicD04 - I've had he same letter too, I have sent the form back today so lets see what happens. I've not been successful with nay PPI claims so will try to manage my expectations. There is very little information on the letter, they just wanted me to confirm my name, address and date of birth so have no idea what I could expect to receive back even if I were to be successful

Have you had a response yet?
  • dw14
    dw14 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Got the letter and sent the form in post today.

Will any other providers write to me or will I have to call them or Ombudsman?

I had claims with others credit card and mortgage protection account for instance.
  • Hi all. I had this complaint upheld letter as well, then another with some more information regarding figures and payment, I received a cheque that didn't correlate to any of the amounts in the correspondence they sent me and I've read it numerous times and in black and white it says you will get back xxxx. I sent the lot back and asked for an explanation, there was no contact numbers and the email addresses just told you to write back with the original documentation.

Not sure if this is a genuine admin error in either the initial figures, cheque or a dodge on the payment! If I bank the cheque does that mean I accept and the case is closed? I just don't trust any of these banks in doing the right thing anymore!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Clearly it's not a 'dodge'.

If an error has been made, it will be corrected.
  • Hi - I received one of these letters too. Originally my PPI claim was rejected because they could not find my account. I don't understand how they can now send me this new letter if it was not originally found. Am I missing something???
  • Same letter but states complaint was upheld but wasn't.
    I have been trying to get my PPI back from EGG (CANADA SQUARE OPERATIONS) for almost 9 years. I finally went to the FOA who agreed with EGG that I was not entitled to any. Received a letter 28 September from EGG regarding the high commission paid on the PPI policy. The letter states " Our records show that you have previously made a complaint against your Egg card which was upheld. As redress was offered providing a full refund of the premiums paid for the PPI policy, even if the Plevin case were applicable to the sale of your policy, you would be due no further redress in respect of any commissions."
    I have not received a single penny of redress yet they admit the complaint was upheld.
    I have sent a copy of the letter to the Financial Ombudsman who have spoken with EGG (Canada Square Operations) who have told them it was a mistake in the letter.
    Can anyone please advise me what to do here. I have it in Black and White that they upheld my complaint yet still trying not to pay me but stating that they have.
    Do I have a legal stance here ?? Please help if you can. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport