Money Moral Dilemma: How much board should I charge?

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I think I paid about a third, so she should be looking at around £66 a week. I'd also ask for £30 a week till she's repaid what you gave her when she was at uni.

If she pays £20 that's less than repaying what she got while she was at uni! I think she's having a laugh.

If she wont pay up, then say that £20 just covers the room. So take out anything electrical, even the lightbulb, don't buy her food, don't let her use the washing machine or phone...

I know that sounds really, really mean, but I got into loads of debt when I left home. My sister's finished uni owing dad and me thousands. I really, truly believe that it's in her best interests to be introduced to the real world in a 'safe' way while she's at home, than suddenly be faced with a huge drop in disposable income and a rise in bills without learning money management.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • jany
    jany Posts: 38 Forumite
    When I was living at home and earning the rule was one third of my wages for saving one third for spending and one third for keep or towards household expenditure whatever you term it. I stuck to the same example with my son who has just left home at 21 and he understands what things cost, that nothing comes easy and he has several thousand pounds in the bank towards his house deposit. Please stop supposedly letting your kids off lightly and teach them how to live within their means.
  • £30.....out of £200.. (Screeeeech!!!) Trust me you will be doing her no favours at all if you let her get away with that. I agree with Jany - One third contribution, one third saving. If she doesnt need (operative word - NEED) to learn how to budget before she is an adult (21) you will be supporting her and her debts all your life........ and when she has run through your remaining assets when you are dead ...who will bail her out then!
    Having said that - be fair to the girl - if she can find somewhere else she would like to live for £20 a week - dont hold her back!
  • McKneff wrote: »
    Love your avatar, I was born and bred Geordie, still am.
    Walker, next door to Wallsend.

And you..........?

Depending on who you ask, I'm not technically a Geordie because I've never lived North of the Tyne....but it won't stop me calling myself one! I support Newcastle so that's good enough in my book :) Born in Gateshead, still live there now apart from a stint in South Africa!
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • Tulgey_Wood
    Tulgey_Wood Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 1 September 2010 at 12:32AM
    She's going to get a nasty shock when (if) she moves into the real world someday and has to pay for things herself!
    If she thinks £30 a week is too much out of her £200, why not suggest you forget about this whole "board" thing, and just split all the household bills like adults: food, electricity, gas, council tax, water rates.....work them out and show her how much her adult share of the household expenditure would be; £30 might not seem quite so "unfair" to her then.

Proper Geordie ;)
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    The discussion here is all about a difference of £10

It's family, why argue over a tenner?

One day parents may have to go into care, I hope the daughter remembers their stinginess when that time comes.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's not a tenner it's the principle of it. If she were to leave home she'd be paying much more than £30 and have much less than £170 a week to spend on...well...pretty much anything. It's much more than most people in the real world have after paying the rent and the bills. It's all about encouraging them to leave home and get a home of their own. At £30 a week I'd stay there as long as possible. I'd be saying 1/3rd as well as other posters have said (but...I would save most of it and give it back if required..and proven to me that it would be spent on something such as a deposit on a rental or a deposit on a home)
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • ANGLICANPAT
    ANGLICANPAT Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 September 2010 at 2:07AM
    Let her look! If she finds a place for the £20 a week she thinks is fair, you and OH go and and grab rooms there and rent your own place out for a few months and make a few bob lol!
  • Let her look! If she finds a place for the £20 a week she thinks is fair, you and OH go and and grab rooms there and rent your own place out for a few months and make a few bob lol!

That's a good answer!! I'll remember that when my kids grow up and get a job!! My brother used to pay £25 a week and that was 20 years ago. My husband used to pay much more at that time.

My sister's children pay £50 a week and they know they're on a good thing and show no moves to leave the parental home. The eldest is 27 now.
  • shaven-monkey
    shaven-monkey Posts: 651 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2010 at 4:42AM
    Look in local papers for the going rental rate for a home similar to your own, divide by the number of bedrooms, add a fair share of all bills.

That's the fair price.

Alternatively check local shops for "room to rent" ads looking for lodgers and that's your "fair price".
    Depends if you want rid of her.
    "Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves." - Norm Franz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure