PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for the Freezer..

1454647484951»

Comments

• daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Cazza wrote: »
    I did this for my sister a few years ago when she was expecting her first :D

Chicken pie is good, put the pastry top (and bottom if you want) in place and freeze when it looks like a shop bought one. Fish pie also freezes well, the mash is fine on top. With both, find that putting them in the freezer to harden them off for a few hours then wrapping them well in foil or similar means the mash and pastry don't get squashed or frostbitten.

I know you're tryig to avoid mince based things but I've frozen ready constructed lasagne and cottage pie so they might be worth adding to the list.

Sponge cakes freeze well.......

Fillings for fajitas / tacos / enchilada, ready to ping in the microwave?

How lovely of you to do that for your sister!

Thanks for the ideas. Chicken pie sounds good!

Definitely will do some cake but the challenge is not eating it before it gets as far as the freezer :rotfl:
    Runnerduck wrote: »
    Quiches freeze well and can be eaten with lots of things, also fruit crumbles if made in small dishes are great if you want a sweet treat

Thank you :) I am allergic to egg so no quiche here but love the crumble idea. We have loooooads of ramekins from when husband has ready made desserts, which would be perfect. Can you cook them from frozen?
    malamay wrote: »
    Do you have a slow cooker? I did a few meals from frozen baggie to slow cooker this year, and all have turned out ok! I believe I used this site: http://www.barefeetinthekitchen.com/2013/07/60-make-ahead-freezer-meals.html but there are more out there!

Wishing you all kinds of good luck!

I don't have a slow cooker and don't want one...it is just personal preference and I know probably an unpopular opinion on this board but I really don't like the way food tastes from a slow cooker. Thanks for the luck :)
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Regarding the treats, have a search on here for Twinks Hob Nobs or just Twinks, These freeze very well, some say they have to be frozen to stop you scoffing the lot.:D
  • Hi I don't know if this is the wrong place to post but I'm making a sausage casserole this eve and will definitely have leftovers. I'm using pork sausages, can I freeze and reheat at a later date?

Thanks in advance

p_grrl
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Yes - you can :D. I do this regularly - including a Sweet Chilli using Turkey Sausages.

Just make sure that it's thoroughly defrosted and heated up properly.
  • Thank you so much for replying, just have to find room in the freezer now haha!

Thanks again xx
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    HSywelcomecake.gif

I've just finished my Freezer Inventory and I'm :eek:. Think I need to shop absolute 'basics' for at least 2 months :o.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money saving at its best. I'm sure you meant that to happen ;)
  • Freeze cooking can be a great fun!Interesting information to share and read on.Thank you for letting the people know more about this dish!!
    This sounds phenomenal
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport