PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May: Pin Money Savings Challenge

15678911»

Comments

• jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I managed to save £55 this month thanks to BOGOFs etc. Before this I would never have noticed what I'd 'saved' apart from feeling a bit lucky in the supermarket sometimes!
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I've saved £20 on shopping at Tescos by using money-off vouchers I received through the post. I've hardly done any "top-up" shopping so far but then I have another 2 weeks before my grocery challenge is over.

I withdrew £50 on Thursday as pocket money for the past two or three months and went to Town, literally :rotfl: I came home with £30+ out of £70 (already had £20 housekeeping in my purse) and that is VERY good for me. BUT I then went to town with OH on Saturday to get a gift for OH friends new baby boy (who is so cute I wanted to take him home with me when we met yesterday, the baby that is not the friend LOL ). We went to Next as I had a £10 voucher for there which I wouldn't have spent otherwise. We bought the two cutest outfits aged 12-18 months as friends said that they had already be bought loads of new clothes for now. The gifts came to just over £13 but they were both so lovely I couldn't choose between them, so I recycled a giftbag and bow I already had.

Also on Saturday I spent more money and OH spent £38 (offers though : CD's £9.99 each or 3 for £18 saving £11.97, and DVDs £9.99 each or 3 for £20 saving £9.97) in Virgin on 3 DVDs and 3 CD's but he also doesn't really spend pocket money as he never seems to go shopping. We won't be treating ourselves to anything else now for a while, except for me applying for my learners licence as we could really do with me being able to drive as well! Once I have it OH said he will take me driving in carparks to do maneovers (sp?) until I have insurance.

Oh, the £30+ I had left did the second trip to town on Saturday AND the weekly shop at Tesco (using one of the vouchers I mentioned before). Plus it also went towards paying for some things MIL asked us to pick up on our way to her house for the BBQ we went to. OH withdrew £10 and I have the change which he hasn't asked for and, since we bought food from the services on the way home yesterday as we got stuck in traffice which he doesn't know the cost of, I'm going to deny having :shhh:

Money left until Thursday : £3
    PIN :£3.54
    I also have virtual savings (vouchers etc) but I have no idea what they come to as some are store cards.

Slightly off topic but I've got to tell someone! OH got his inheritence from his grandad (still living but sorting out his finances after his wife died recently) and we paid it straight into OH's savings account. I would have liked to have paid off debt with it, but I've been told by grandad via OH its to be used as a deposit for a house and since the cheque was made out to OH and its his grandad I didn't argue, I went along with their wishes. All I'm going to say is that he now has a 4-figure savings account :j
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Nicki that's wonderful, at least you know that you're on the way to a house now :)

I can't work out if this is savings or shifting money elsewhere - perhaps someone can help me decide.

Dh has to go away in August (Brassband working holiday) We would normally pay this from his ordinary band wages but he's got an extra job this month which will pay enough to pay for his weekend away. So can I call this savings or just shifting money around?
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family