Steam Refunds and Distance Selling Regulations

Options
So I've purchased (and I use this term loosely as I'm not sure it's accurate) no no okay I paid to play a game on steam. Found it's not what I expected and wanted to refund the game. As I understood it, the distance selling regulations are meant to allow me to cancel within 7 days which I am will within. I've tried to request a refund twice through steam support and no dice. I've reminded them of my rights which they refuse to acknowledge. Where do I stand, please?

Comments

• RichardD1970
    Options
    My lad has had quite a few refunds from Steam without problem.

From their website (the first hit if you google "steam refunds"
    You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it.

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours.

My bold. Do you meet the requirements?
  • apeskin
    apeskin Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Does the distance selling regulations 2005 not override steams T&C's. As I understand it, if I am within 7 days of a purchase I am entitled to cancel an order?
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 November 2016 at 6:02PM
    Options
    I was just wondering if you fell outside of their requirements, which is why you were having problems.

Whether you have a case under distance sell regs, I don't know. Someone with more knowledge may be along soon.

Edit. Quick google and found this on Which's web site,
    Cancelling a digital download

Digital downloads are given their own unique category under the Consumer Contracts Regulations and are therefore not services or goods.

If you want to download something within 14 days of buying it, you will have to give your consent to waive the 14 day cooling-off period.

If you don’t give your consent, the 14 day cooling-off period still applies but you won't be able to download your digital content until this period has ended.

This is to prevent you from changing your mind after you have downloaded the content.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/can-i-get-a-refund-on-a-digital-download

Edit 2. You could try asking on the Consumer Rights board, that is where the experts hang out.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Edit 2. You could try asking on the Consumer Rights board, that is where the experts hang out.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173

Looks like the OP took your advice but then somebody moved this thread but didn't bother to merge it with the new one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure