Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Comments

• Hi - Moving soon to house with LPG and have found this thread very informative. Can anyone tell me the companies that operate in the Henfield, West Sussex area. Also I am used to a central heating range cooker (on oil at present) and would like to update the boiler in thenew house and install an LPG one. Has anyone got this system? Would like comments and which makes are best and can be modified from mains gas to LPG?
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 December 2016 at 10:05PM
    wotpot wrote: »
    Hi - Moving soon to house with LPG and have found this thread very informative. Can anyone tell me the companies that operate in the Henfield, West Sussex area. ........................

Welcome! You can find suppliers by putting your postcode in the box in http://www.uklpg.org but that only shows suppliers who are members of the LPG trade association (and also there used to be mistakes in their database!). As well as the 'Big Three' - Calor, Flogas and Avantigas - there's probably Extrafuel, and maybe Rose Gas and maybe J Gas (Lima Gas's old area - before J bought them). There's also, I believe, Four Seasons Fuel - which nobody has mentioned on the forum before, as far as I know. You might be inside HBS's area but I think not. Extrafuel and HBS have had good reports. Then there's also Woldlink, a farmers' co-op based in Lincolnshire who use Flogas (see bobmac62's post just before yours).

Suppliers HAVE to give you a quote over the phone, subject to site inspection. The general advice - as I'm sure you have read! - is to make a table of initial price, time fixed for, max price rise until end of 2 yr contract, rental cost, 'free gas' or other inducement, direct debits... Some suppliers like Extrafuel do both tracker and fixed prices. Once you've got all the info haggle! As an example of the info needed AdrianC set out the offers he got 18 months ago in this post.

And get each supplier to send you over a copy of their contract - or tell you if it's on their website - and then wrap a wet towel round your head ....

Please post the offers you get.

PS If you are changing a boiler there may be offers. But go for a longlasting make (my Vaillant is 25 years old).
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    PS If you are changing a boiler there may be offers. But go for a longlasting make (my Vaillant is 25 years old).

We chose Vailant in 2010

So far we have paid about £1K on repairs .... :mad:
    J_B wrote: »
    We chose Vailant in 2010

So far we have paid about £1K on repairs .... :mad:

I have paid far less than £1k on repairs - in 25 years. Only major item was a pump, earlier this year. I do have regular changes of rust inhibitor, and I do now also have an iron oxide remover (a MagnaClean). And I have a very conservative plumber, who repairs /replaces only what is necessary (and tells me horror stories of what he could justifiably do ..and charge me for). My Vaillant is a VC GB 242EB - maybe newer ones are not so robust, though, of course, they are more efficient in gas use. Short discussion earlier on the forum showed that there were several of us with boilers with 20+ years service. Different makes too.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ..... maybe newer ones are not so robust, though, of course, they are more efficient in gas use. Short discussion earlier on the forum showed that there were several of us with boilers with 20+ years service. Different makes too.

We purchased a pair of semis in 2009 to do holiday lets.
    One had a functioning Worcester LPG Boiler, so we went down that route as the other had a defunct oil boiler.
    Purchased a new Vailant and have so far had to replace the multi port valve that was about £250 + vat + fitting and then this year we have had to replace the printed circuit board which was over £320
    We have also had a couple of other issues.
    I could mention tht the elderly Worcester is running fine, but, if I say that ... it will break down tomorrow!!!!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    J_B wrote: »
    We purchased a pair of semis in 2009 to do holiday lets.
    One had a functioning Worcester LPG Boiler, so we went down that route as the other had a defunct oil boiler.
    Purchased a new Vailant and have so far had to replace the multi port valve that was about £250 + vat + fitting and then this year we have had to replace the printed circuit board which was over £320
    We have also had a couple of other issues.
    I could mention tht the elderly Worcester is running fine, but, if I say that ... it will break down tomorrow!!!!

It's worth remembering that 2005 was when condensing boilers become required for all new/replacement installations by Building Regs. Big step up in complexity, and reliability took a big dip. Modern condensing boilers, though, should have many of the early problems resolved.

The only real difference between LPG boilers and mains gas boilers is the jetting - so reliability should be the same for each.

We've got a Worcester-Bosch early condensing, and it's been utterly reliable <touches wood, rapidly> so far - installed around 2007, I think, but very little use from 2008 to 2013 - which you'd expect would cause problems. The one issue with it has been the condensate drain has blocked a couple of times - just takes the boiler end disconnecting (pushfit) and a quick blow through to resolve it for another year or more - that's an install issue, rather than anything boiler-specific, of course, but the first time it did it, it did get me worrying...

As ever, I'd always lean towards Bosch - not just for value and quality, but for ethics. Bosch are 92% owned by a charitable foundation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bosch_Stiftung
  • Tinhat
    Tinhat Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm on lpg in West Sussex and am currently with Jgas (formerly Lima Gas). Just had a refill a few days ago at 30.5ppl + vat on a variable tracker rate. Have been with them for over a year and can't fault them.
    I have a Vaillant boiler that was installed a couple of years ago and have had no problems (touch wood). It came with a 5 year warranty, but I believe some now come with 7 years. Worcester Bosch also a very good make and worth considering (similar warranty).
  • Hi folks,
    I live in Sauchen Aberdeenshire NE Scotland and live on a metered estate using LPG. I have been doiing some sums and it seems i am being charged £1.77 a Litre for my LPG!!, Can this be right and whats the usual average people pay for their fuel?.

Thats +VAT by the way!!!
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 296 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi folks,
    I live in Sauchen Aberdeenshire NE Scotland and live on a metered estate using LPG. I have been doiing some sums and it seems i am being charged £1.77 a Litre for my LPG!!, Can this be right and whats the usual average people pay for their fuel?.

Thats +VAT by the way!!!

.. um, I'm paying 25p/l. So that is basically a scandalous rate, Gordon.
    Read the rest of this thread immediately! And if there is anything stopping you getting the price right down to my end of things, tell us what it is ..

Jerry
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • My Mistake, i have dug a little deeper and seems the flogas online activity sheet is a little misleading, The actual cost per litre is 46p still above the average it would seem but way better than i first thought!.

The online statement quotes the amount of units used in litres when in fact its should be in Cubic metres!, I'll need to have a word with them tomorrow and straighten that out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback