amazon credit card closing down

Options

Comments

• dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Oh no... Haven't had the letter but knew this was coming, since they stopped offering it to new customers and launched an Amex.

The best straightforward deals seem to be the supermarket linked ones where you get 1% at the supermarket and 0.5% everywhere else :(
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One possibility for a cash equivalent is the lastminute.com MasterCard.
    http://creditcard.lastminute.com/

Cash it aint, but it offers 1% on general spend and 2% on lastminute.com spend in the form of lastminute.com vouchers. Effectively £15 bonus for spending £250 within 90 days. Fine if you are happy to spend on travel or experiences.

Be aware that lastminute.com charges a credit card fee for purchases. :(
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dj1471 wrote: »
    Oh no... Haven't had the letter but knew this was coming, since they stopped offering it to new customers and launched an Amex.

What is the Amex they have launched? I can't see it anywhere on the Amazon site.
  • OverlandLandy
    Options
    geriatrix1 wrote: »
    Bad news indeed. I had my Amazon card ready to take over from my Barclaycard when they reduced the cashback rates. Have to start looking around again soon.

Ditto.. I'm in exactly the same position... Have already reduced my spending on Barclay Card significantly and I have been earning Amazon Vouchers... OH WELL... Back on the hunt for a Brclaycard AND an Amazon replacement now...

My letter arrived today.. says very little... not selling on the MBNA card TBH!!
    I am NOT a Woman! - its Overland Landy (as in A Landrover that travels Overland):rolleyes:

Better to be approximately right than precisely wrong.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    SuperHan wrote: »
    What is the Amex they have launched? I can't see it anywhere on the Amazon site.

Hmm, can't find it now. Sure I saw it advertised a while ago, maybe they were just advertising a random Amex or the fact that you can spend the Amex points at Amazon...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have received the letter from Amazon this morning too.
    I shall be looking for an alternative but do not want a supermarket loyalty card. Neither do I want one where a certain amount of money has to be deposited monthly, eg 123.
    I buy quite a lot of things from Amazon and have also used my card for miscellaneous small items of shopping. The £10 reward voucher may not be much but came in quite handy. I have always paid in full each month so it's been a cheap and convenient method of credit.
    If anyone has a suggestion for a suitable alternative, which can be used anywhere, I would be glad to know.
  • King_Of_Fools
    King_Of_Fools Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have other cards which offer 1% or thereabouts but what I will really miss is the 2% on Amazon purchases.
  • bunny71
    bunny71 Posts: 95 Forumite
    edited 22 August 2014 at 1:32PM
    Options
    I got the letter this morning too. But, a quick google - and there's some hope! :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html

Thank you for your interest in Amazon.co.uk Credit products. This page is currently being updated. We appreciate your patience. Please return later to apply for your Amazon Credit product. Thank you.

I'll wait and see what new credit card Amazon is offering before looking elsewhere I think. Will definitely be ditching the basic MBNA card though!
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 August 2014 at 1:46PM
    Options
    I signed up for the Barclays Freedom Rewards card earlier in the year which is a points means prizes card.

I've managed to save up enough points for a £50 voucher - if I want an amazon voucher it will cost me more points so it may be I will be boring and opt for a high street shop voucher which costs less. I don't understand why amazon vouchers cost more but at least I have the option.
  • Catslovelycats
    Options
    Oh no! I've not had a letter yet but use my card LOADS for the reward points. It'll be back to my Tesco card then. :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure