IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN - Stopped to drop off passenger at bus stop

Comments

• Bielzibub wrote: »
    Pay it. It's an absolute offence. Only a bus can stop in a restricted bus stop. You cannot stop there at all for any reason, even to drop someone off.

Complete tosh..I advise you read the TSRGD 2002 schedule 19 part 1 and stop giving incorrect advice.
  • http://www.findleys.co.uk/highway_code/waiting_and_parking.html

Items in the HC code which state MUST or MUST NOT are backed up by an applicable section of the Road Traffic Act.
    Bielzibub
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Bielzibub wrote: »
    http://www.findleys.co.uk/highway_code/waiting_and_parking.html

Items in the HC code which state MUST or MUST NOT are backed up by an applicable section of the Road Traffic Act.

You are entirely missing the point. You can make as much reference to the 'Highway Code Code' as you like, it must first be a bus stop - and it is not an offence in CPE which is applicable here.
    -
  • I wonder if Clark Kent has found his way onto here?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Bielzibub wrote: »
    http://www.findleys.co.uk/highway_code/waiting_and_parking.html

You should read these sections and then you will learn that there are exceptions to the rule. For instance in the link, it says, you must not wait or park where there are yellow line restrictions, but we all know that you can for boarding and alighting or loading/unloading (where not prohibited) and other's such as BB holders parking up to 3 hours or on direction of a police officer.

So, as I said previously, it's complete tosh that you cannot park on a bus stop clearway for any reason. There are acceptable reasons, see paragraphs 4 & 5 in the link

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm#sch19

We are moving away from the issue of helping the OP. To get the PCN cancelled. it will depend on faulty paperwork or non compliant markings and signage or mitigating circumstances.
  • Good afternoon,

I realise that this topic is quite old but I am in a similar situation with one twist. The area where the bus stop is has CCTV surveillance without signs to warn motorists.

I have the photos but they are clear cut, not sure they add to the debate. Dropping stuff at a charity shop. 1min 20' in bus stop. Probably had an off-day.

It seems presence of CCTV have to be displayed. Some variance in what I should/can do on the top of the signage requirement already made on this thread.

Should I pursue the route of "The IOC CCTV code of conduct states that warning signs should be placed where CCTV is in use. No such signs were in place in the location where this PCN was issued therefore it is invalid".

Previous experience welcome.

Thanks
  • Pausing to read the restrictions should be a valid defence, how else could you know what they are?

Many signs face the road, but small print can require a close inspection.

They say ignorance of the law is no excuse, OK, but don't fine me for finding out.
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    So would you drive through a red light unless there was a sign saying 'don't drive through red lights'?
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • No ManxRed of course not.

You seem to be missing the point that some restriction signs are impossible to read from the road way, thus fall into "inadequate signing", thus if PCN's are issued because you stopped to find out the restriction (and nothing else), the PCN should be cancelled.

There's some successful defences precisely on these grounds, Google the issues if you are interested.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    wvpTV wrote: »

There's some successful defences precisely on these grounds, Google the issues if you are interested.

True there are, but I shouldn't think the main protagonists of this thread will be interested because it started in 2009 and ended a year ago!

How on earth did you find it? If it was by Googling then always check the date of any forum thread you land on, and if the subject interests you then join in current threads not ancient random ones! On any forum just follow the breadcrumb trail link back to the current threads on the forum where it's archived. On MSE that's the blue >link at the top of the page; as mentioned in my signature in a fairly vain attempt to try and stop people just bumping ancient threads...:p:):)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure