Chance of a second life? What would you do?

A bit overdramatic but still!!! I have just sold my business at last and that and the serious health scare, both of which have been hanging over me for the past few years, have now been lifted - for good I hope. I feel really elated, as if I have been given a second bash at life but instead of mortgages, children, schools, jobs, husband etc as first time around, this time I can do something completely different. I don't want to slip into the same old same old routine, even if it is a new routine, but want to make the most of this great feeling and do something.

I do have some plans, I have a part time job 3 days a week which I enjoy and need the income from, I also do voluntary work. I'll keep those on. I'd like to attend nightclasses but at the moment a 10 mile drive to the town on a winters night (or day!) does not appeal, so as the long term aim is to move to the town, I'll put that on hold. I don't need to earn any more money than I do, I have my state pension and a couple of other pensions, not a lot but enough - don't need more than that. I remember reading Ilona's blog a while ago and was attracted by some of the things, bus trips etc, that she did. Will spend this evening reading that all back, she's a real inspiration but at the time I felt I couldn't follow suit as I was either needed at the business or should be at home worrying about the business! Either that or worrying about side effects of medication etc, what a waste of energy!! Free from that now and the sale has given me a little financial cushion. I intend to view the local town as a tourist, and on Thursday will go to tourist info, get some town walks leaflets and go exploring, instead of quick dash to Aldi and the bank and home again. And I also intend to do lots more reading, and not just bank statements and invoices!!!

But I need more inspiration!!

So what would you do?

DS

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Join your local U3A, you'll find that you could do something everyday, fun or intellectual or a combination of the two.

You make new friends, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Join your local U3A, you'll find that you could do something everyday, fun or intellectual or a combination of the two.

You make new friends, too.
    Yes, U3A is likely to have a lot on during the day as much as in the evening.

I joined a local walking group a few years ago and have really enjoyed that. They're very friendly, the walks are good for me, and I get to go to places I wouldn't go on my own, including good pubs ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    U3A - yes , excellent idea, why didn't I think of that!!! Will investigate. I'm not a great joiner of groups but maybe in my second life I should turn into a more sociable person. I do like to walk on my own or with my dog but who knows, I can give it a go. As far as U3A is concerned, I love listening to an interesting speaker and I know that's something they do.

Thanks for the ideas, would love some more.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Hello Downshifter, welcome to the wonderful world of freedom. Talking of interesting speakers, could you be an interesting speaker? I have done talks for years on my work, now I speak on Frugal Living, something else I am passionate about. I gave a talk to a U3A group which was a lot of fun, but I never felt inclined to join. I feel at 65 I am still too young. :rotfl:

As you know I do a lot of walking alone, I'm not really keen on group walks. When I retired I had a day out as a tourist in my own town, using my new bus pass. It was lovely to wander around with no pressure to get back. Went to the museum and the arts centre, took photographs.

I wish you well in your new life. Hey, why not write a blog about your adventures. Would love to read it.

Best wishes, Ilona. aka Meanqueen
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi
    I would ask at your local library to see what clubs/groups are active in your area. You could also have a look in the hobbies section to see if there is anything there that appeals.
    Personally I would slow down a bit, as the poem goes "What is this world if full of care we have no time to stand and stare". Allow yourself a bit of time just to do nothing, take slow walks or just pack a picnic lunch sit on a bench and watch the world go by.
    Hope you find something that suits you.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I started a new hobby, so relaxing and fulfilling for me. I learnt from scratch and have been to shows and some classes. I can choose whether to work on my own or to join other like-minded people and my hobby is expanding my life and I am making friends with similar interests. My new hobby is spinning and now also weaving and I now own 3 lovely wheels. My dh did similar but re a completely different hobby and he now meets up with new friends and has learnt wonderful new skills, developing an outstanding talent. We both go at our own pace and get out as much or as little as we want. U3A is not appealing to me, I know a few people who are involved and it is too much `in your face` for me
  • What a great problem to have! I'm not retired but have a few friends that are and both have found a passion by thinking back to their childhood and teenage years along the lines of "what did I really want to do then? what did I enjoy doing? what would I have done if I could have earned a living doing it?" So one is now really involved in her local art group - not only a weekly class but they do weekend trips, walks, etc. The other had always loved horses (but her family couldn't afford to send her for lessons) so she now volunteers with a charity that enables disabled people to ride - she LOVES it.
    Good luck!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    U3A in your face?

I don't understand that. We have 40 groups, from learning a language, or keeping one up, via book and poetry groups, bowls, walking, archaeology, wine apprecciation, birding etc.

Some are small, chatty groups, others like social history are big groups. However, if someone wants to just sit and listen to a speaker that's fine.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • rochja
    rochja Posts: 564 Forumite
    I am on my 2nd V2L course and I too do some volunteering and I am in the process of becoming an RSPCA branch trustee. Good luck
    Life is like a box of chocolates - drop it and the soft centres splash everywhere
  • The most important thing is that you do something that you really want to do. Reading what other people would do is great, and can be inspiring - but I also think you should sit down quietly, and give yourself time to think about what kinds of things you really really want to do - it might be completely different from what anyone out here in mse land might want to do.

So - make a nice cup of tea and switch off the TV, screens etc, and spend some time thinking about what you want for you.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure