Learning to budget to make future adventures happen

Comments

• Hi crunchy - you're doing well on the Xmas presents!

Reading back a few posts on your storage issues, I note that you and hubby are fond of books. So am I and I have a small flat. The best thing I did was buy a kindle! I had a good clear out and took all my novels to the charity shop and slowly replaced those I would read again for the kindle. The older novels work out cheap on kindle and it is so nice and convenient to keep in your bag when out. . I'm left with one tall bookcase for my reference type books, history, etc and have a cull now and again when I buy a new book as I like to buy books from time to time from bookshops but always buy novels on kindle now. I know it's not really money saving to buy two kindles at the moment but perhaps a future birthday gift......?
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Great reading all your posts and very inspiring. Just starting out on the journey but determined to become debt free so we can buy our dream house.
    Love all the tips and first on the list is to download YNAB!
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I too am a Kindle fan! I've read some great books for 99p or even free from new authors.

Also if you use Topcashback they give you an extra % if you cash in via Amazon. I often use my Amazon cash back to buy my holiday books during the summer!
  • I didn't know that louby. Must look into this!
    🌟
  • It sounds like you are on top of things! I may have missed it - are you going somewhere nice for your xmas holiday? Sorry if it's already been mentioned, my head is all over the place!

The account for your husband is a good idea, will he still have access to the other accounts or is that not an issue? It will be good though to keep his expenses totally seperate.

I hope your dd is now recovered from her stomach bug, and back to her old self. I was gutted when my dd stopped her naps. I sound like a terrible mum but it was the only chance I had to catch up on housework, etc. The day she started at reception, I felt like I was walking on air - a whole day to get things sorted! I don't know how home schooling mums do it, they must be incredibly organised.
  • Hi crunchy - you're doing well on the Xmas presents!

Reading back a few posts on your storage issues, I note that you and hubby are fond of books. So am I and I have a small flat. The best thing I did was buy a kindle! I had a good clear out and took all my novels to the charity shop and slowly replaced those I would read again for the kindle. The older novels work out cheap on kindle and it is so nice and convenient to keep in your bag when out. . I'm left with one tall bookcase for my reference type books, history, etc and have a cull now and again when I buy a new book as I like to buy books from time to time from bookshops but always buy novels on kindle now. I know it's not really money saving to buy two kindles at the moment but perhaps a future birthday gift......?

we do like books you are right and wish we have enough time to read them!! Surprisingly we are actually very good with books. We buy them secondhand off amazon or borrow them. Ones that are read get packed off the charity shops and classics get kept. I have one bookcase full and I do like seeing them on display. I also love the tangibility of them to so I don't think a kindle is for me but thanks for the tip! I think toys are my biggest issue. I found out grandparents are buying the children rather large presents this year and I'm stressing where I am going to put them. Its so frustrating - everything has to be supersized with them!! Any advice on how to deal with that - mother in law doing her own thing and not thinking things through!

Crunchy x

Crunch
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • It sounds like you are on top of things! I may have missed it - are you going somewhere nice for your xmas holiday? Sorry if it's already been mentioned, my head is all over the place!

Yes we are going to a holiday cottage in a lovely picturesque part of UK for Christmas!!

The account for your husband is a good idea, will he still have access to the other accounts or is that not an issue? It will be good though to keep his expenses totally seperate.

yes but that's not the issue and it really will!!

I hope your dd is now recovered from her stomach bug, and back to her old self. I was gutted when my dd stopped her naps. I sound like a terrible mum but it was the only chance I had to catch up on housework, etc. The day she started at reception, I felt like I was walking on air - a whole day to get things sorted! I don't know how home schooling mums do it, they must be incredibly organised.

Yes she is much better thank you! Thank goodness it happened on a day I wasn't working! Home schooling mums that also work from home!! How.Do.They.Do.It!!! Ha ha!

Thanks for commenting - answers in red! xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • I think toys are my biggest issue. I found out grandparents are buying the children rather large presents this year and I'm stressing where I am going to put them. Its so frustrating - everything has to be supersized with them!! Any advice on how to deal with that - mother in law doing her own thing and not thinking things through!

Hi crunchy - Luckily the toy issue ended years ago for me, but I had just the one child and I think children get more toys these days so more clutter! I have some friends though who have grandchildren and small flats as they have downsized. Their homes are getting quite full with the toys that they keep for when the grandkids come to visit or stay! Never ending cycle.....!

Difficult to know how to broach it with the mother-in-law without causing offence! Perhaps OH can gently point out the size of your storage space................:D
    🌟
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Crunchy

Now my two boys are 17 & 13 I realise that stressing over toys, size, quantity etc isn't really a big deal.
    They are little for so long and soon lose interest in toys. Accept the toys with good grace, store them as best you can and come July sell, give away, dump them if not played with or needed.

My parents and inlaws are in their mid/late 70's, time is precious with them. My kids don't need me much now anymore either.

Honestly, time goes by so quickly. And now at 47 I realise when i was 35 I got in a flap about such silly things that now I couldn't care less about.
  • crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Hi crunchy - Luckily the toy issue ended years ago for me, but I had just the one child and I think children get more toys these days so more clutter! I have some friends though who have grandchildren and small flats as they have downsized. Their homes are getting quite full with the toys that they keep for when the grandkids come to visit or stay! Never ending cycle.....!

Difficult to know how to broach it with the mother-in-law without causing offence! Perhaps OH can gently point out the size of your storage space................:D

My mum has been telling me to keep toys of my children's for when I have grandkids. There is no way I am hoarding stuff in the loft for the next 30 years when other children can enjoy the toys my kids have outgrown (sentimental pieces aside).
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income