The Road to Financial Security

Comments

• Do you live near an Apple Store. They sorted out my iPhone I thought was busted a few years back and it lasted til I upgraded recently. It's worth a try :-)
  • Pushkin
    Pushkin Posts: 795 Forumite
    Hi Cookie - feel better you aren't too horrified by my plans to immediately replace the phone!
    Hello Corner Cottage - yes we'll go to Apple shop Saturday morning with damaged phone to have them advise us, DH reckons even if unrepairable it might have some second hand value for parts! Who knows.

Have just checked contents insurance policy book - can't find any ref to mobile phones at all so will ring them tomorrow to see if we can claim....
  • Pushkin
    Hmmm probably need to title this entry diary of a spendaholic :eek:

New mobile phone purchased yesterday and new dishwasher ordered today. So rather an expensive weekend!

DH built the new bbq this morning, one more week of garden work and it should be ready to use- planning the first bbq next Sunday so hope the weather plays ball.

Terrible night's sleep last night so feel somewhat groggy and irritable today and haven't done too much to be honest.

On the plus side they fixed my glasses for free and I've managed to find the old interface to this forum - am obviously now of an age where change scares me and I take comfort in the familiar!

Off to read some other diaries and drag myself back into money saving ways....
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How annoying to have to buy a new phone. I dropped my fitbit (tracks your steps and calories) down the toilet and was gutted! Unlike a phone though, it isn't quite a necessary item. :) If it's something you get lots of use out of, £200 really isn't that much money. I only use mine for texts really so a cheapy one is fine!

At least they fixed your glasses for free!

We just have a fence to paint and a step left to make in the garden and then we are finished! I'm really looking forward to inviting people round to marvel at it. :D
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • Pushkin
    amycool wrote: »

We just have a fence to paint and a step left to make in the garden and then we are finished! I'm really looking forward to inviting people round to marvel at it. :D

Amycool I am impressed you are painting the fence yourselves, we bought new fencing last year and specifically chose treated wood that allegedly doesn't need creosoting and will last 10 years. It cost more but as we've got older DH and I know our limitations!
  • Pushkin
    Another splurge today - ordered blinds for 5 windows and the back door. May seem extravagant but all long overdue and I figured it's easier and a bit cheaper to do all in one go. Cost a few hundred less than thought so am not feeling too bad.

I think I suffer from the guilt pangs when the spending isn't planned - speaking of which the new dishwasher arrived today! Amazing that you can get free delivery less than a day after ordering something, the internet is amazing sometimes.

DH is back working in London but will fit when he get in this evening.

Am hanging out for pay day next week, this has been an expensive month for some reason. At least I can use my credit card again as the window for July's payment is finished now. Wouldn't it be boring if I were rich and didn't have the adrenalin of all this financial juggling each month :D
  • Pushkin
    The garden work finished today, it looks really good but the poor dog is very confused as she isn't allowed on the new grass! We have to leave it for 10 days to bed in.

Had an argument with H@lif@x on the phone, I have an old cash isa with them and needed to withdraw some from it to pay the gardeners. They have a fiddly system whereby when you request the withdrawal on the internet site they send an authentication code to your phone. As we have this guardian s/w on our phone (to stop cold calls) it won't accept this. Rang them up and was told they can't help me on the phone as I haven't signed up for telephone banking - to register for that takes up to a week as they send a code out by post. Or I need to go to a branch who can hopefully sort this out.

And this is my money !!!

I know I am probably unreasonably angry but in the 15 or so years I've been with FD I haven't had a single issue like this - makes me want to close my entire account with them - if I work out how to do that one!

Lovely weather and good forecast for the weekend so we will hopefully get a few bits set up in the garden and enjoy our first bbq :T
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Pushkin - re: the bank problem. Can you add your mobile number to the site and let it send you a code to that? I use them too and have various numbers on the account - I then just choose which one to call. Hope you get it sorted - feel your pain
  • Pushkin
    BookWorm wrote: »
    Hi Pushkin - re: the bank problem. Can you add your mobile number to the site and let it send you a code to that? I use them too and have various numbers on the account - I then just choose which one to call. Hope you get it sorted - feel your pain

Hi Bookworm, yes I've added my mobile no but apparently that takes 2 days to become properly activated! DH has also told me we can deactivate the Guardian s/w on the telephone temporarily in order to get the code from H@lif@x. I know there are work arounds and I know they have to be hot on financial security but it just seems overly complicated and I don't understand why having chosen internet banking with them a telephone has to be involved at all!

I know I'm ranting again.... sorry!!!
  • Pushkin
    edited 20 June 2015 at 7:37PM
    Phew pretty productive day, starting to arrange things in the garden and doing the usual household chores. Finally mopped the hall, kitchen and toilet, long overdue as we have been walking in mud & dust while the garden has been done. Also cleaned all the downstairs window sills.

Unfortunately thats only about half my to do list so will be ploughing on tomorrow.

DH nipped to B&Q (I say nipped he was gone about 2 hours:eek:) for a few bits; gas for the bbq, new garden hose and some stones for one area of the garden. Total came to £157, good job we had decided to buy stuff for the garden gradually and not rush it - with things being that expensive it will need to be spread over a few months :cool:.

Was also looking forward to finally being able to use the washing line again but its been drizzling on and off all day so yet more tumble drying :(

Forecast for tomorrow is better, we are doing a Fathers Day BBQ and I also bought a bottle of Pimms :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure