New Fire needed Baxi Bolier Compatable

Options
VLT
VLT Posts: 326 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi, Is anyone able to advise on Baxi boiler compatable fires and where to get one? My mums fire is not igniting properly so we are looking for a replacement. Does anyone one if such things exist now?
She doesn't want the hassle of a new boiler if it all possible, we have just lost our dad and she couldn't cope with it all.
She's based in Manchester if this helps
TIA Viv

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried getting a gas safe engineer to have a look and see if it is repairable?

If the problem is only the ignition then it may still be possible to get the spare parts, possibly quite cheaply. If it isn't possible to get the parts then I'm not sure you'll be able to find a suitable replacement fire very easily.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you're talking about a back boiler and wanting to replace the fire part of it. I don't 'think' this is allowed as they are usually one appliance. It might be better to get the boiler replaced and a new fire fitted.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can replace the firefront but only with a compatible Baxi version - and nowadays that probably means second-hand and many gas fitters won't fit second-hand parts.

The igniter is probably fairly cheap to get replaced through.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can replace the firefront but only with a compatible Baxi version - and nowadays that probably means second-hand and many gas fitters won't fit second-hand parts.

The igniter is probably fairly cheap to get replaced through.

Sound advice.

I once moved into a property where the firefront had been removed by previous occupants. The BG engineer who came to disconnect the lethal-looking gas cooker advised me the back boiler looked 'ancient', he'd never seen one like that and I'd have to have a new boiler too. He claimed the serial number contained a date code which confirmed his opinion.

A quick phone call to the manufacturer revealed the boiler had actually been manufactured less than a year ago and was part of a bulk order shipped to.... BG. The manufacturer was able to give me details of compatible firefronts and local distributors and I was able to get a firefront I liked fitted for a fraction of the cost of a new boiler.

A short while later a letter from BG to 'the occupier' revealed the boiler and fire had in fact been fitted by BG, and the then owner had still not paid for it. Poetic justice I felt :)

Moral of the story: Don't always believe what you are told, always get a second opinion.

It might be a very long shot, but if you have no joy with local fitters/engineers/suppliers it might be worth contacting the Baxi technical department directly for advice. They would know about the availablity of spares, and if you explain your mum's sad circumstances they may go the extra mile and find out for you if anyone might have an 'old stock' firefront sitting in a warehouse somewhere. You should be able to find a fitter willing to install that, even if they won't touch a second-hand one.

Best of luck. :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family