Weight loss

Comments

• Cut out junk and processed food.

Eat lean meats, veg, some fruit and nuts, rice and potatoes fine in moderation.

It really is pretty simple.

Plus HIIT training would help.
  • Scrap cardio, lift weights ... way better for loss

Seady state cardio isnt great. But interval training is.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There is no easy fix.

Stop wasting time looking for one. You know what you need to do, really, don't you?
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Losing weight should be simple in theory, but of course its not in practice, because if you are fat you probably have issues with self control or eat to cheer yourself up or don't know what food are healthy / unhealthy.
    Having tried several 'diets' I am now following the NHS weight loss plan. Basically eat what foods you want but ensure your calorie intake is no more than 1400 a day. Losing weight on a diet is pointless if you go back to your old bad ways afterwards. Small sustainable changes are better. If you have tried to lose weight ( really tried and not cheated) and it didn't work then visit your gp to check you don't have metabolic syndrome or a thyroid issue etc.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question.

Are there any tablets from doctors or health shops that are available to lose waist and belly fat? Can’t seem to lose weight through walking or jogging.

Any advice please.

Thanks
    Have you tried exercises that specifically target those areas?
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Exercise also doesn't help much in terms of losing fat.

On the exercise thing you might be able to burn 200 calories in an hour,maybe 300 if you are average. You do this 3 times a week and your defecit is only 900. You won't really notice you are losing weight and if you overeat by only 600-900 calories you have lost your defecit and won't lose weight.

I burn much more than 300 calories an hour, up to 750/hr (running, only do for 20 mins these days), up to 700/hr (sprint cycling, only do for 30 mins, but mostly straight after running) and 350/hr hiking (very fast with backpack and on hilly routes, 90 mins to 2 hours). I used to run much longer distances (1 to 2 hours, but I introduced cycling to be kinder on my joints, I now mix cycling and running in the same session (as well as individually).

I agree about the over eating (and drinking) though, the best way for me to maintain fitness is to watch my calorie intake and exercise.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    Have you tried exercises that specifically target those areas?

You cannot spot reduce fat.

Whilst specific core and abdominal work will increase strength and stability in those areas it will do nothing about the layers of fat covering.
  • Losing weight on a diet is pointless if you go back to your old bad ways afterwards. .

Nail on the head.

And as many diets are not sustainable eventually thats what happens.

Cut out junk and keep Kcals below maintenance, very simple in theory, its just you need the drive to actually do it.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I burn much more than 300 calories an hour, up to 750/hr (running, only do for 20 mins these days), up to 700/hr (sprint cycling, only do for 30 mins, but mostly straight after running) and 350/hr hiking (very fast with backpack and on hilly routes, 90 mins to 2 hours). I used to run much longer distances (1 to 2 hours, but I introduced cycling to be kinder on my joints, I now mix cycling and running in the same session (as well as individually).

I agree about the over eating (and drinking) though, the best way for me to maintain fitness is to watch my calorie intake and exercise.

I can pretty much agree with your calorie burning, and would think that we are exercising at around the same level, which would IMO be too difficult for most people to achieve.
    I tend to use the cross trainer or bike for my cardio work (five times a week 35 minute sessions). Rather than use the calorie counter on the gym equipment (which does not take into account weight), I use the number of Metpoints per minute, which for 20 minutes on the bike was 9.2, which when taking into account my weight, means that I burned 309 calories in 20 minutes and then another 131 calories during my 15 minute cooldown. The twenty minutes was mostly at level 11 (95RPM), with a block of five x one minute intervals.
    In addition to this I also use resistance machines and free weights, two or three of these after the cardio work.
    I am steadily losing weight, but considering what I eat, it is not exactly dropping off.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2017 at 12:56PM
    andygb wrote: »
    I can pretty much agree with your calorie burning, and would think that we are exercising at around the same level, which would IMO be too difficult for most people to achieve.
    I tend to use the cross trainer or bike for my cardio work (five times a week 35 minute sessions). Rather than use the calorie counter on the gym equipment (which does not take into account weight), I use the number of Metpoints per minute, which for 20 minutes on the bike was 9.2, which when taking into account my weight, means that I burned 309 calories in 20 minutes and then another 131 calories during my 15 minute cooldown. The twenty minutes was mostly at level 11 (95RPM), with a block of five x one minute intervals.
    In addition to this I also use resistance machines and free weights, two or three of these after the cardio work.
    I am steadily losing weight, but considering what I eat, it is not exactly dropping off.

Until a few years ago, I just used to run, but I found that I was injured about 3 months of the year, I so started to cycle as well, then later I also started hiking. What really surprised me about the hiking was that it was a huge calorie burner, and also I could do it every day (time permitting). I just got back from a run, and the next thing that I am going to do is add weight training sessions to my schedule, I've got a multi gym and dumb bells that I haven't used for a while. I didn't have time before, but I dropped down to working only one day a week in January, as an alternative to early retirement.

My biggest downfall is wine, but I am working on reducing that now, it isn't just the calories, its also the alcoholic units that I need to reduce.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure