Short break in London help

Hi, we are going to visit London for a few days next month,we are flying into Gatwick& then staying at a travelodge in Bethnal Green.
I was looking for advise on best way to get into central London as heard of Gatwick express but this seems very expensive & also am I best to get an oyster card for travel once in London as I take it most attractions would be in the zones one & two, which I think Bethnal green comes under.
many thanks in advance

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    http://www.gatwickairport.com/to-and-from/gatwick-to-london/

I'd imagine gatwick express is good if you are in a hurry but i would look at other slower train services (as i HATE busses lol)
  • There's the Gatwick express and there's the other trains from Gatwick to London which stop a few times and are much cheaper. Get the slower train to Victoria and then get the Victoria line to Oxford Circus and change to the Central line to Bethnal Green. And you can get an Oyster or if you have contactless payment cards you can use those - there's no difference in price
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    mackin01 wrote: »
    Hi, we are going to visit London for a few days next month,we are flying into Gatwick& then staying at a travelodge in Bethnal Green.
    I was looking for advise on best way to get into central London as heard of Gatwick express but this seems very expensive & also am I best to get an oyster card for travel once in London as I take it most attractions would be in the zones one & two, which I think Bethnal green comes under.
    many thanks in advance

I wouldn't bother getting an Oyster card, contactless payments are far simpler. You'll probably find Easybus to be the cheapest way into Town.

http://www.easybus.com/en/
  • mackin01
    mackin01 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thanks for your replies.
    For the slower trains is there websites that you could direct me to that I can get tickets for?
    I thought the oyster card seemed good as there is a cap of £6.50 on how much they would charge in a day but would I struggle to spend that much on daily travel in London if going from bethnal green and then around central London?
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It may be slightly faster to get a train to London Bridge instead of Victoria, then you can go Northern Line/Central Line (change at Bank) to get to Bethnal Green. The train to London Bridge takes about the same length of time as the (non-express) services to Victoria.

Gatwick is now included in the Contactless/Oyster system so you can use Contactless or Oyster for the whole journey.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    mackin01 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.
    For the slower trains is there websites that you could direct me to that I can get tickets for?
    I thought the oyster card seemed good as there is a cap of £6.50 on how much they would charge in a day but would I struggle to spend that much on daily travel in London if going from bethnal green and then around central London?

There's a cap on contactless payments as well.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/what-is-capping

It's difficult to tell how much you'll spend on transport because everybody does different things.
  • stockton_2
    stockton_2 Posts: 336 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 1:20PM
    HI

I use an Oyster card myself, which I have had for several years. There is an initial outlay of £5, or used to be, and then you top up the card. I top my oyster card automatically through my bank, £20 at a time, but that is not a good idea if you don't go to London a lot as you sometimes have a fair bit of unspent credit left on the card if it has topped up on your last day or so. I think there are other ways of topping up that might be more appropriate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure