Cheap accommodation

I had a three day walking holiday last week around the Hebden Bridge/Todmorden area, fantastic scenery. My accommodation was the Youth Hostel at Mankinholes. I am a member so it only cost me £7 a night, stayed two nights, it's £10 for non members. I took my own food, there is a well equipped kitchen. The only other expense was petrol, two hours drive, so a very cheap holiday indeed. :D

Just wanted to sing the praises of Youth Hostels. Now is a good time to use them, as prices are lower out of season. Also I was the only one staying so I had the place to myself. There are some smashing locations, and some of them are like mansions, Hartington Hall for instance in Derbyshire. Worth a look if you are planning a few days away. Google YHA

Ilona
I love skip diving.
:D

Comments

• tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the heads up Ilona. Good to know. :)
    I'm pleased you had a good holiday. :)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes - I've stayed in the same hostel before and its a nice one with a lot of character in an interesting/distinctive part of England.

I didn't carry so much food as I was on two wheels for that trip but the Top Brink Inn a few minutes walk away did a very nice dinner and good beer! :D
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    pogofish wrote: »
    Yes - I've stayed in the same hostel before and its a nice one with a lot of character in an interesting/distinctive part of England.

I didn't carry so much food as I was on two wheels for that trip but the Top Brink Inn a few minutes walk away did a very nice dinner and good beer! :D

Good point. Those travelling on two wheels and those who walk there may not have the capacity to carry very much. The pub has a menu at the hostel so you can ring up and book and your meal will be ready. It's a short walk across two fields, take a torch and don't trip over the sheep, ha ha.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,099
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I agree. They're amazing for people on a tight budget.
    My fave is this one near Whitby http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/boggle-hole It's recently been refurbished.
  • Ilona
    My fave is this one near Whitby http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/boggle-hole It's recently been refurbished.

Yes, Boggle Hole is good, great for coastal walking, I haven't been there for ages. Park at the top and walk down to it, as it's right next to the sea. Service vehicles have to wait until the tide is out before they can drive down there. I must go back and see the refurb.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • pogofish
    Forumite

That looks lovely! - I've stayed in Whitby and other hostels in that are but never Boggle Hole.

This is making me want to say "hang the arthritis" and get a bike going again in the spring! :D
  • pogofish
    Forumite
    I must say that even though I'm biased towards the small/remote Scottish Hostels, Yorkshire is one of the best parts of the UK to visit using them. :)
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My elder brother is 69, and loves yoof hostels, particularly in Yarkshire.
    He gets about wih his bus pass, and survives on Ruddles or Samuel Smith's bitter.:)
  • Ilona
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    My elder brother is 69, and loves yoof hostels, particularly in Yarkshire.
    He gets about wih his bus pass, and survives on Ruddles or Samuel Smith's bitter.:)

Ha ha, that made me laugh. A chappie turned up at Mankinholes YH on the bus when I was there. There is a bus stop right outside the door. A good cheap way to travel. I did a bus pass holiday once, bus and walking from North Lincolnshire to the Lakes, staying at hostels. It was fantastic, I like to get out of my comfort zone and have an adventure. :D
    ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I suspect the accommodation standards are dramatically higher these days than they were when I last used them a long, long time ago!

I did plan to use them in London not so long ago, but the prices were pretty much on a par with Travelodge, so I chickened out.

Cars are OK these days, I gather?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport