Marvin The Moneyspider's Web Of Saving! SAVINGS CHALLENGE

Comments

• I *do* like this idea. I'm very guilty of recreational or comfort shopping and already have way more than I need of most things. I have separate savings accts for things like the annual boiler service and vet bills. Today I've tallied up how much I've got sitting in there and given myself a target of having £1,000 by the end of the year. I'll update around the 15th of each month as that's when I get paid.
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I'm all for anything that encourages folk to hang onto their cash.I am definitely a 'Frau Frugal' as my Dds call me.Its January 3rd and so far haven't spent a penny at all.I am shopping from my freezer and store cupboards and my purse is firmly shut.:):)
    Weather is foul anyway so I am staying indoors in the dry.I have made my menu plan out for January with what I have in stock already and at the moment I can't see that I need anything at all.
    All of January's bills are paid and I have so much stuff in stock I think I can go for quite awhile without actually spending anything at all:):)
    onwards and upwards chums.Lets make January a month where the supermarkets can go whistle Dixie :):):).I hate shopping at the best of times anyway,so many other nicer things can be found to do
    JackieO xx :):):)
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    I'll join this one too, I haven't managed any savings this year, and I'm desperate for a holiday soon! (I have to fork out to renew my passport first :() I'll be saving my £2 coins, doing a sealed pot thingy, and trying to earn a little extra to put into my credit union. I'm hoping to save £1000 by the end of the year, although some of that is earmarked for next winter's fuel, xmas and a holiday. Maybe I will aim to end the year with an extra £500 in my credit union account as long-term savings.

We went out for lunch the other day to Ed's Bar and Grill as a treat after swimming, and the meal cost £50 for 2 adults and two kids. We just had a main course and drink each, and the food wasn't that good. Won't be going again as that was our whole week's food budget for one meal that was rather disappointing! Anyway technically it was "last year" so I won't worry about it too much now.

WantToBeSE I'm also hoping to be more sociable this year, but since eating out would be to expensive for us to do it regularly, I might try having picnic dinners in the house and crafty/gardening sessions with friends so we can have "cheaper" fun :) any other ideas for having cheap fun?

Brewing is back on the agenda. After ignoring the fermeting demijohns for the last 8 months I've ordered more yeast and will be making cider and mead, my stocks are getting low!

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • Reen73
    Reen73 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Hi I'm new, have been a lurker on OS board for a few years but this is definitely one for me!

I love christmas and tend to buy little bits throughout the year but ended up spending way too much this year on my son and husband which is stupid since we are on only one low income at the moment.

Anyway, I am doing the sealed pot challenge, saving all supermarket points and selling on eBay and saving all the money for christmas.

I'm going to keep a spending book too to keep all household spending in check and see where we can cut back even further.
    Determined to be money neutral this year
    50p pot: 5.00/£50.00
    Sealed pot: 33.80/???????
  • TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Welcome everyone to the web of saving :wave:

Would you like to know a sad fact :rotfl:

I have bought all my Easter presents in the Christmas Sale :EasterBun

Sainsburys were selling Lindt Teddies for 90p so come April I will be able to put more money into my pot :dance:

I can't decide whether to set up a special savings account or a sealed pot or both? What are you all going to do?
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have several savings pots.One for 'shrapnel' from my purse which goies into a tin money box and once a month gets put into the holiday account along with anything left over from my 'food budget purse'Another High Interest account that has my main savings in and another that is a building society account which I use to save up for things in my home.I am quite disiplined when it comes to saving and find often its the little odds and ends of coins that soon mount up.My tin money box also has my 'road kill' that I have found thrown away on the pavement I am often suprised at how those 5ps get chucked out.I am happy to pick them up and last year I suppose I found around £19.00 in small bits of change,usually outside a newsagents where children just throw them away !!!
    I also have my T*sco points which are saved up for our family holidays in August and also the Nectar points and even Boots points.I usually top up my diesel in my car once a month in Morrisons and get a fiver's worth of points every now and again to spend in the shop I then put £5.00 in cash into my holiday money to help top it up. I am definitely a very savvy saver .This month I get £84 in cashback from my c/card which is used as a debit card and paid off monthly so I have 'earned ' £84.00 for using my own money :):)
    Every little helps :):):)
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Hello.....i'll join too.

I have pots and accounts for various different spends/saves. This has all gone to the wind since moving in July and haven't saved since then and managed to run up a vile amount on the C.card.

I haven't been to any sales this year which is a miracle in itself., as I love shopping... I don't have a computer, as would sit and spend on it. I am getting better, but won't be going on-line until I feel my urge to spend irrational at times has gone.

I once (this is years ago though) walked into a certain lovely shoe shop and walked out 1800 lighter on their store card. I don't do this now, but need to get back onto the saving routine.

Spend this year has been on some things to start growing herbs and salad stuff...so hopefully not wasted.

I will be aiming to save at least 50 next pay and the one after. This will focus me as it could be tight due to not working much Dec and Jan due to an operation......but I am going to do it.

I do not need any clothes or boots...my downfall.....and will avoid clothes shops at all costs for 6 months.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    gayleygoo wrote: »
    WantToBeSE I'm also hoping to be more sociable this year, but since eating out would be to expensive for us to do it regularly, I might try having picnic dinners in the house and crafty/gardening sessions with friends so we can have "cheaper" fun :) any other ideas for having cheap fun?

Hi gayle :) It's been over 3 years since i have been out for a meal without the kids, so it's a very special treat, i cannot wait!

For free activities, TM6 mentioned geocaching over on my savings diary. All you need is the app and some willing participants. how old are your children?
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 3 January 2014 at 3:41PM
    Forgot to say, re savings accounts; i have 3 bank accounts (current, e-savings and cash ISA).

The Current account- this is where all of my Tax Credits, Payments from Clients and Agency wages and Child Benefit goes into. I work out a weekly budget on a Friday (when i get TCs and 'wages') and transfer any 'spare' cash into my....

Cash ISA- This is my main savings account at the moment. Everything that isn't used for food, DDs, SO's bills etc goes into here. I transfer the 'spare' cash into here on payday, so it's not hanging around in my current account to be spent.

E-saver- I allow myself a £100 a week food budget. It's quite high but we often we have £10-£20 (sometimes it can just be a few pounds) a week leftover from the food budget. This £10-£20 a week is put into this account. At the end of the month, we use this money to put towards a day out/cinema trip/bowling/swimming etc. if i really want to take the kids somewhere expensive (The Zoo), then i k now i have to spend less on the food shopping, and save this for longer.

Sorry for the long post!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mr LW and I each have a savings account, which I transfer any money into that I don't think will be needed for ordinary spending, ie food and warmth and travel - although we have separate accounts, it's my task to do the administration, as I'm not able to go out to work (health reasons), and I'm actually better at it.:D

When Mr LW gets paid, (monthly) I allocated one month's direct debits from that, and leave some in his current account for the month (he works 30 miles from home, so petrol is a big expense). Whenever we know there's an annual bill approaching, I "earmark" money to pay it. It's all done on spreadsheets on the computer.

We're also a host family for a dog-sitting service - the little bit of money we get from that is salted away in a totally separate account.

Other than that, we have a £2 tin - Mr LW turns out his pockets each night and I pounce on any £2 coins therein,:D and also a "roadkill" tin, which I have to say very rarely gets anything put in, as I'm semi-housebound (can only go out on the mobility scooter, or if Mr LW is available to help me).

I'm lucky I suppose in that I loathe clothes-shopping with a passion; and being a wheelchair-user, I don't need to buy footwear, as it doesn't get worn out!:D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure